Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

negative hits

steve1570

I was hunting with my ctx on coin mode, finding miniballs moved about 75 yds and was getting negative hits on the mini balls.My friend which was using a dfx white tore me up.
can someone tell me what had happen. thanks

I am not sure what you mean by negative hits. I use combined audio and ferrous coin and my audio is set to give a high tone on bullets and buttons. If I get into difficult ground I sometimes use manual ground balance. Sounds like the guy with the DFX is just getting his coil over more targets than you. As you get more familiar with your CTX you will be digging your fair share. Slow your swing speed down when you start finding targets then swing slower than you were and let that Minelab do its thing. Just keep remembering the last person to touch that bullet or button or any other Civil War relic was a soldier and you now have it in your hands. HH :minelab:

Thanks. What I mean is the hit gave me a negative like iron.he would go over it and it gave him a decent hit. we had trouble in this area, but he did well with the dfx.

Were you using an open screen or with discrimination. My CTX hits lead very well. I have recovered many 22 cal, white oxidized slugs, at 4"+, as well as old lead seals from late 1800s bottles that deep as well.. If you had any disc set up, it must have been the range lead hit in on the CTX..........

If the DFX was hitting the lead OK, the only logical reason I can think of is your ground balance was way off for some reason. There is some ground that is so bad, lead comes in the negative numbers but it would have affected all VLF detectors the same.

Another possibility is to make sure your sensitivity is not set too high. I suspect, however, like C&R Hunter that you had the lead set up in the reject field.....like he said, when this happens, try shooting with an open screen.

PM sent in answer to one sent to me.

I requested he take one of his found miniballs and check it with his machine at home in a clear spot of his yard, away from any electrical power and let us know what Fe/Co readings he gets.
Also, I was wondering if it may have been possible that he hit the "Search" button from the first area to the second area and switched the Coin mode from P2 to P1, which would have rejected iron and lead. I also suggested that if this happens again, to switch to the "Relic" mode and use a clear screen to see if that helps.

I'm still new to the CTX, so, take my suggestions lightly......this is just what I would try.