Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need some SE setting advice

Lee man

Hello everyone!

I am fairly new to the forum and haven't metal detected in awhile and am asking for advice on what settings you would recommend to hunt for coins and rings. I just got my SE last Thursday and have found 2 clad quarters in my backyard, but am wondering what or if I should adjust the settings to. I know there is a learning curve involved, so what advice do you have for me?

Thank you for your help!

Lee

I would suggest hunting with your factory settings for the first month. Whether it be iron mask at 22 or your coin and jewelery mode.
Then I would open the iron mask up to all metal and use ferrous sounds. This gives you a chance to learn the tones of your machine and enjoy hunting before you start playing with settings. Too many get discouraged trying to run before they can walk.
Happy Hunting

Use the factory setting for a while. Do NOT crank up sensitivity and use it manual for a while. It will only cause confusion and discourage you. Once you are about 80-90% accurate about what you are digging, then you can try this.

I never use digital. I run iron mask -10, sensitivity manual about 24-27 (you ground might be different) and noise cancel before you hunt each time. Trust your ears and focus on the sounds. I use CONDUCT, deep on and fast off. My gain is between 6 and 9. Variability is maxed. If I know the area has good old coins, I crank up the gain and watch my depth meter a little more often. You HAVE to use this method very slow. If you are not hearing the faint threshold, something isnt right. In trashy areas I prefer to use the factory 8 inch coil. I still find the really deep stuff with the smaller coil.

If you try this and all you get is "beep,boop, bop, bing, boing, blurp, etc..." and cant pick out the good sounds from all the various sounds, you might want to go back to the factory settings.

You know you have it down when you sweep the coil over a target and can say to yourself that you know the target below is silver. There is no mistaking that sound when everything is working right.

I've been using the Explorer SE in the factory pre-set for the past 3 1/2 weeks. Been in the digital most of the time and I've been really happy with the depth, and the amount of finds that I've gotten. I've got most of the coins numbers down ok, except for the nickels ( what's with those coins ?) and the readout is right on most times. I've learnt the falsing problem, and the slight bump on the ground will read off as 00-31, after the first few times of thinking silver I remebered to sweep over again.

Jim and DFX Gregg are working the machine correctly and will learn with no problems.