Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need some inspiration.

firstlight

I have a gti2500 and its been a few years since i've used it. I got discouraged awhile back because all i really found was clad and nothing of value. I am getting the urge again to knock the cobwebs off and try again but I really believe after all these years most places have been hunted and all the good stuff is gone. I live in dallas tx and have been here for 20 years. I've looked in the ghost town books for old places to hunt and when I get there it is a big disappointment. I don't find anything and consider it a waste of time. Anyway, thought I would throw this out there and see what advice you good hunters can give me. Oh, by the way. I do read your coments and think a few of you live in a good part of the country to hunt. Thanks for your time.

:usaflag:I guess a person would just have to be happy to dig up anything. From my perspective it's just a hobby that has good and bad days..but enjoyable every time I do it. Try looking for older, private homes or farms where you might get permission to hunt. Chances are that it's never been hunted.

WOW id LOVE to tect in Dallas...

ive read about parks etc etc Over 100 yrs old
that still give up good stuff!!!

ANYplace is fine with me ...

HH

Ron

Rangers lead The Way

If relics are what you want to find then you need to research into lesser known areas. Also depends on what you expect to find. In some of our "ghost town" areas around here, when I find an old belt buckle or padlock I consider it a good hunt.

John

Have you read any of your areas history books? Check out the county that you are interested in and the local history and it might give you some leads. I know how you feel in a way. Ever since I got my GTI-2500 I have had a lot of different health problems and don't get to get out but a couple times a month if I am lucky. I also don't find very much either, mostly regular clad and some old coins from 1901 and 1913 which are more sentimental value than money value. However, when I do get out with my detector, only if it's for an hour or maybe two, I am on top of the world so to speak. No, I don't find much and I'm usually so sore and in so much pain the next week after I do a little swinging and digging, I sometimes question the sanity of metal detecting. But, it's worth it at the time and I have been doing lots of research which I hope will pay off in the future. Garrett's factory or museum is pretty close to you, isn't it? Check it out for some inspiration and ideas. If you have a library card, go to the public library and see if Ancestry.com is free at that location. It is in Georgia and look up some of the old homesteads or newspapers, etc. I'm still learning about how to do this and I know sometimes the Librarian hates to see me come in, because I always ask a million questions. Check out the newspapers on the microfilm at the public library from as far back as you can and see what happened back then and see if you come across something that can get your creative juices flowing. Hang in there and keep on asking the more experience people on this site questions, they will help you. You can email them if you don't want to ask a question on the forum, also. Good luck to you and good hunting.

No place is really and truly hunted out, it may be hunted to death but not totally hunted out. I have owned a GTI 2500 for 10 years and have found several silver coins and tons of clad. To find silver you for sure have to be in an area where silver has been lost and of course is in the depth that your machine can reach.
Do you have any friends or relatives, aquaintances that own old farm houses or live in town in an old home. Ask permission to search their yards, Check with some of the country churches around that are old, they are a good place to find old coins. Make sure you have permission though.

The stuff is out there you just have to find the right spot. They say there are as many coins lost as there are in circulation.

Good Luck and don't give up

BCOOP

Most of the places ARE hunted out. That's why my interests have been peaked on the sudden rise of gold. I no longer am a coin hunter ONLY, but have lowered my discrimination to iron and have hit the tot lots, schools, etc. where there's a possibility of gold. Of course, the clad keeps me going along the way. and helps pay for batteries and gas. Along with that, every time I bend over, or sweep the coil, or perspire from the Texas heat, or recover a lost item for a surprised new friend I make, I add to my health and the enjoyment of the great outdoors. It's not for everybody-just as golf, my favorite sport, is not for everybody. My best friend who started me in this hobby, has long since left into another hobby. Sometimes we get to fish together or other things. But he left me a great love and I don't personally know what drives me to search for sometimes a full day at a time. If only we could pick the minds of the late great Mel Fisher, or even have a lengthy interview with Mr. Garrett or the late great Karl Von Mueller!

No place is ever hunted out. It's a physical impossibility. Here's something to think about. The average coin will take up a space of one square inch or so. At peak depth your coil signal is only covering an area about the size of a quarter, not the 8-10 inches ( coil size ) that you see on top of the ground. So let's say you are hunting a plot 10'x10'. Contained within that plot are 14,400 square inches and your signal would have to hit each and everyone of them dead on.. Can't be done. In one sweep of your coil you are missing a ton of those square inches.

Bill

the thing didnt find any thing in the colset did it. you have to use it to get good the story is that it wood take 5000 years to find all the pennies that are out there and i am sure you will find something beside pennies if you look so get out there and look

Kind of a misstatement by me, I guess. If I get out before other detectorists, I can sometimes have a $5-7 hunt spree. I got out today and found almost $5 even though I could see the places where others had dug.(They wouldn't have seen many of my holes!) What was surprising was the number of nickles, so that tells you about where they run their disc. level. But if these places don't have a little time to reload, I feel kinda disappointed whenever I only find a couple of bucks. I guess, Bill, I'm remembering the old days. I went out when AH Electronics first came out with the first reliable discriminator and found $25 in about 4 hours. NO ONE wanted to go out there and fight the hundreds of tabs that were there.

Yeah those good old days are gone when you could walk into any tot lot and pick up seven or eight bucks. I hit a park one time and found $7.50 under one tree. Hunted in front of a high school auditorium and found as I recall $31 plus a gold watch, solid silver bracelet, two 14 KT gold rings and some other goodies.

Bill

remember any where people congregate they lose treasure.
ask some of the older people about where they played ball as a kid..this is away
to find great places to hunt.
HH/ TONY