Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need Some Expert Advice

Hatz

I'm fairly new to water detecting and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me to the rules of the water. There is a local private Yacht Club with a beach where wealthy people swim and I would like to detect there. Unfortunately it is closed to the public so my question is; If I take my boat out on the lake and enter the beach area from the water, how close to shore can I legally go onto there private beach? I understand that I wouldn't be able to pull the boat in beyond the buoys but I could get along side of the swim area and throw an anchor there. Can I get in trouble? If it is legal to do where would I go to find documentation to back me up if confronted?
By the way, I'm using an Excalibur 11 and here are my first month's finds with this awesome machine! The top two rows are Gold and the next two are Silver rings. The rest are junk or unknown at this time. Check out the teeth,,,,scared the crap out of me when I pulled them up! I'm not very good at resizing the photos yet so hopefully it turns out alright.

go knock on the door and ask if you can ,tell them and trash you find will leave WITH YOU AND NO LONGER BE IN THERE SWIM AREA WERE people can get cut by it also
bring some of the trash you have found in the water with you to show them what you find in the water for trash,as for parking outside a swim area and detecting outside of there swim
buoys yes you can,you may be asked to leave but thy can,t make you because thy don't own the lake,if the whole lake is on Private property thy can kick you out because your trespassing but if it has a state funded launch ramp,city park etc that make the lake a public lake,by the sound of it you have already found a place to put in your boat ?just don't cause trouble and you should be fine BTW
I have 20 years in marine law enforcement now retired:thumbup:

on some lakes people own the land under the water out so far.no matter how you get there if you walk on the land you are on there land.i ran into this problem once and got permission and showed the owner all the sharp metal and fish hooks i took out of the lake and he was more than happy to let me go when no one was swimming . good luck.

n/t

After having a go around with a Restaurant this year for detecting in the waters behind there place of business....... {They called the DNR of Maryland}......... on the Old Mickey Altoona Beach in the Chesapeake Bay , I found that I needed something showing the Laws of the Water Ways, I carry these along with my ID now....Basically it is the high tide line out, {I always stay in the water} Good for the Eastern United States..State Parks and Federal Land have different Rules..check with the Rangers on duty, several of the Western States have the same laws but with Variation per State & Local..................OBN/Joe

Riparian rights are a system of rights and duties that determine the reasonable use, duties, and allocations of water to owners of waterfront property. Riparian rights are rooted in English common law, so they are typically implemented in former British colonies such as the eastern United States, Canada, and Australia. In principle, these rights ensure that riparian owners can make reasonable use of water adjacent to their property while protecting the rights of other riparian owners.

Riparian Rights
Thomas Strong, P.L.S.

Laws with respect to the claims of ownership of lands under bodies of water and waterways have its foundation in English common law. U.S. National Water Commission, A Summary-Digest of State Water Laws, p.3, 1973.
While England recognized a public interest in all waters affected by the ebb and flow of the tides, all fresh water inland lakes and streams above tidewater were classified as private waters in which the public had no rights. Thus, under English common law, the public's ownership interest extended only to the bed of the lakes and streams that were subject to the ebb and flow of the tide. Barney v. Keokuk 94 U.S. 324, (1876).
Those bodies of water and waterways which were subject to the ebb and flow of the tide were considered to be" navigable waters" under English common law. The English crown owned the bed to the navigable waters in trust for the public use. The bed of non-navigable waters, (private), was owned by those who owned the land adjacent to or upon which the non-navigable water flowed.
As a result of the American Revolution, each state acquired absolute ownership of all land beneath their respective navigable waters which had been held by the English sovereign under the so called "public trust doctrine". Shively v. Bowlby, 152 U.S. 1, (1894).
New states admitted into the Union since the adoption of the Constitution have the same rights as the original States in the tide waters, and the land under them, within their respective jurisdictions. The title and rights of riparian or littoral owners in the soil below the high water mark are governed by the laws of the states, subject to the rights granted to the United States by the Constitution. Skelton on the Legal Elements of Boundaries and Adjacent Properties, Second Edition, (1997).
Navigability
In determining riparian ownership it is important for the land surveyor to determine whether the waterway is navigable or non-navigable. Basically the surveyor needs to determine if the waterway is navigable- in- law or navigable- in- fact. Tidal waters are generally considered navigable-in-law, if said waters can serve some useful commercial purpose. This is according to the Federal definition.

Navigable-in-law is based on the English common law definition of what waters were considered navigable and include only those waters, which are tidal.
Navigable- In-Fact pertains to whether or not the waterway has ever been used for trade or commerce, or other valid purposes under state law. Also, a determination of whether or not the waterway is susceptible to the use of the public applies. A great deal of time often results in research in order to determine this type of navigability. In non-tidal waters, navigability for title purposes generally is a question of navigability-in-fact.
In the United States a general rule is that riparian owners along tidal, navigable waters own to the high water mark. This also applies where the water is tidal but not navigable. However along navigable, non-tidal rivers the laws of the state you are in would apply.
Along non-tidal, non-navigable waters, the riparian owners generally hold the title to the bed. Along tidal or navigable waters the title to the bed in generally held by the state for the benefit of the public.
In tidal waters, navigability for title purposes appears to be not always based on navigability-in-fact. In some states public ownership appears to extend to submerged lands subject to the ebb and flow of the tide, regardless of actual navigability. For example, in Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York and Texas, State ownership extends to all waters subject to tidal ebb and flow, but in California, Connecticut, Florida, North Carolina and Washington, public ownership is based on navigability-in-fact. Maloney andAusness 1974.
Boundaries in Streams
The most common case involving non-sovereign water boundaries is that involving a stream as the boundary between two parcels of land. In such cases where the deeds of the premises call, "to the stream", the center of the main stream would be the boundary. This is called the thread of the stream. When there are multiple channels, then the main channel would form the boundary. This is called the thalweg. It is the deepest part of the channel. This type of boundary would shift if the thread of the stream shifts with time, unless such a shift is due to avulsion.
Boundaries in Lakes
Rights associated with water that is not flowing are called "Littoral". Generally land beneath non-sovereign lakes are owned by the surrounding upland owners. When all the deeds call "to the lake", each owner has title to a center point. This creates a complicated boundary problem since there is a lack of a main channel and a lake is rarely perfectly round. Where the description in the conveyance uses language such as "to the shores" or "along the shore", then title to the lands underwater is not conveyed. Similarly where the description in the deed makes reference to features on dry land, such as the bank, shore,
Page 2 of 5

nice post...interesting...
thanks for the info...
john