Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need Red Book Info On This 1972 Penny.

steveholdem

I AM NOT SO SURE ABOUT THIS 72 PENNY ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE DOUBLE HIT ON THIS. ANY INFO MUCH APPERCIATED. FOUND IN LOCAL PARK. IS IT WORTH ANYTHING FOR BEING A MISPRINT????? THANK YOU.

My 2009 Redbook shows 1972 Double-Die Adverse at 700.00 with the notation "Other slightly doubled varieties (worth far less) exist. I'd say you no doubt yours is valuable, but would need an appraisal by someone in the business to get an accurate figure.
BB

:usaflag:The 2011 Red Book lists $700.00 for double-die obverse..but for lettering "In God We Trust". Nothing specific about yours. Yes..take it to a coin dealer/appraiser. But I would'nt be quick to sell it to them if they offer to buy it. Hang onto it and do a little more research. I'd tend to think you might get more for it on E Bay or some other online auction. Good luck & nice find ! :thumbup:

You correctly ID'd your penny as a double strike, otherwise known as machine doubling Steve and it is not a doubled die described in the Redbook. Machine doubling is the most common of all doubling and just about any year of coin can have machine doubling. If your cent was in mint condition, it would have a small premium to a collector, a couple of bucks maybe.

On the doubled die, the doubling is on the die and the same error is on a certain number of coins.

Here is more information on doubling:

http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/OtherFormsOfDoubling.htm

Hi Steve; McDave and Larrry are both right in some forms.Yours is a Double Machne Struck 1972 Lincoln Cent.The grade is about (VF) Very Fine as per the pics.. It is not the famous 1972 "OBVERSE" Doube "DIE" variety. General coin prices are about $10 in Mint.Yours is as Larry said worth about $4 max.. It is still a very nice find and it is rare to make that kind of find.Suggestion Goback to that park.There could be more there. Maybe even the famouus one.!!!! If so "PLEASE" post the pics so we ca all drool. PEACE:RONB : :yikes: :clapping: :thumbup:

guess i will go there try again, I got to run baseball tournaments at that same park this weekend, the ole detector will be out as well sat & sun, If i find anything good i will post it. i found alot of civil war bullets there as well. i would love to find the 700.00, 72 penny or even would settle for the 55 double, or 43, Thanks all.

to me it looks like glue like it was glued into a necklace or something? ive found 2 pennies glued back to back, for what reason i dont know but when i pulled them apart the glue stuck to one penny and had the outline of other penny too which made it look double struck.. anyway just a thought..

Take it buy a coin dealer and you will know for sure..But I see glue on it especially on the word united .. some one glued 2 pennys together at one time..

Keith

Good eye Keith..........:thumbup:

Hi Jim; I know Steve. Can't resist. Love it Bets on.!!!! I lose I will donate 5 lbs aluminum value to a local charity.You lose you do same. Either way its a friendly bet and the Charity wins. Great.!!!! :usaflag: Steve, PLEASE get to a dealer then post the results ok. This "IS" fun. PEACE:RONB :clap: :bouncy:

OKAY I IN TOO I WILL TAKE IT TO A COIN DEALER AND POST WHATEVER HE SAYS, BUT IF IT IS A DOUBLE HIT. I WANT ALL THE PULL TABS, AND CANS. I WILL TO IT THRUSDAY. I WILL SAY THIS THOUGH IT SURE DOES NOT LOOK LIKE GLUE OR FEEL LIKE GLUE.

Hi Steve; Thanks. One weeks pulltabs equals about 2lbs. I made it easy. I said 5lbs. Thing is "ALL" proceeds go to charity of your choice ok. Anther words 5lbs aluminum value spot price goes to them ok. PEACE:RONB :usaflag:

PS : Saves shipping too.