Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

need info

twinner

how would you guys compare an eclipse 5.3 to the other populer smaller loops like the 4x6 and the 6x10 and such?

In my personal opinion, I like the small 5.3 coil. It sniffs those good signals out of the trash and easier than easy to pinpoint. Many swear by the other coils. It's basically to each their own and what your hunting conditions are. Personally I didn't like the 6x10 coil. It didn't pinpoint like I wanted and was way off on the depth. But like I said, to each there own. HH to all, Nancy

Twinner,

I have the 5.3 Eclipse Coil and it is on my MXT 90% of the time. It takes a lot longer to cover an area because of the small coil size, but as Nancy says, it pinpoints like a dream and the trash separation is great. I hunt a lot of wood chips and tot lots and its an ideal coil for this environment. I've never used the 6X10, so can't speak to that.

Pete

For me, and this is here in Australia hunting gold, the 5.3 is super sensitive. That to me would also indicate that it would have to be pretty hot on gold jewelry.
I also use the 10x6 dd and in hot and really changeable ground, positive bal to negative bal in a few inches, it is great as it cancels the bad ground better.
But, some species that the 5.3 hammers on the 10X6 wont even whimper at. Different configuration though so you would expect that.
The open web 9.5, for gold, damn, after just 5 minutes you want to Frisbee it into the stratosphere after the fiftieth catch up on rocks and sticks. Have found gold with one but talk about frustration. Its always good to have a different coil type on hand in case the hunting enviromentr you are in changes and makes things difficult with the one you have.

Robert,

Yes! What beautiful specimens!!! I wouldn't mind finding something like that, but I don't think it will be here in IL.

HH and I hope more great treasures come you way!

Nancy

Nancy, there is gold being found in your state. GPAA members have been finding color in numerous streams in the state. The source of the Gold is Glacial Moraine deposits left by the Illinois stage. it goes from the north to south in your state.The stage is where the glacier stops and then recedes then stops again. check the history of glacier activate in your area. It wont be in quarts it will be in raw and probably smooth form from glacier movement. But its all over the state, a little research might pay off.:thumbup:

There is also a good pay to dig area in Marion they might let you detect there

I have the the 5.3, 4x6, 8" Ex. and the 6x10 for my MXT. I agree on the 5.3 being better able to seperate then say the 6x10, but not by much. I think that if a person is going to spend most of their time hunting clad in parks, then by all means get the 5.3. However, if you plan on hunting old sites that are relatively clean, (trash) then IMHO the 6x10 is the only way to go. Who cares if the pinpoint is off an 1"or 2". Because, you should be digging a hole bigger then necessary to avoid damaging an old coin anyway. For my detecting out West the 6x10 stays on 99% of the time. Whenever I used the the small 5.3 I constantly found myself going too fast because it seemed that my brain was always ahead of the ground being covered (or lack of) by the 5.3. My 2 cents worth.

Hello B.T.
So you are you useing the MXT and not the X-70.
I would be interested in hearing from anyone down your way
who might be useing the F-75 and F-70 due to its high frequency coils.
I have heard that these two new machines might turn out to be stiff compitition for the x-70
and the MXT.
RR

RR, the reports I've been hearing about are rice size pickers. but there will be allot of real fine gold, glaciers grind it up pretty good.

That's why I sold my 6x10 coil. Pinpointing is a very high priority when retrieving an old, possibly valuable coin out of a private yard. You don't want to make the hole any bigger than necessary. IMHO HH to all, Nancy

Well I pretty much have them all - the 4X6 up to the 12". They all have their uses. The 4X6 is king when nosing out goodies in heavy trash and pinpoints right on, but at the expense of ground coverage and depth. The 5.3 is good, not quite as good in heavy trash, but does go deeper and covers a bit better. It pays to be patient with these two coils.

The 6X10 handles trash some better than the 9.5 with good coverage and depth and I find the pinpointing okay, after some practice, but I'm using the Sunray probe in addition so pinpointing isn't as critical for me. As others have mentioned, I find I use it 80 to 90 percent of the time. I use the 9.5 or the 12" for open, fairly trash free areas and find I use them the least. Often the uses overlap enough that I leave whichever one is on when I start hunting unless the need to change becomes severe. The different coils make the MXT or any machine for that matter, much more versatile in my opinion.
HH
BB