Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need ID

Steve Behnke

Hi, I found this ball in a small towm in central Wisconsin. They were redoing a street and spreading out the dirt by the school. It was only 4 to 5 inches down. I think its lead and it measures .556" in diameter. I also don't know why it turned so white. Any help would be greatful. Thanks Steve

Steve, what you have appears to be a musket ball. Most likely from a hunting rifle, and probably a mountain rifle, which was a smaller, heavier barrelled gun for easier use when hunting rough country. It would have used a patch if a smooth bore. The white color is the natural patina caused by the oxidation of the lead. It is the pedigree of an authentic, vintage projectile. Never attempt to remove this patina. Otherwise you'll wind up with a lead ball...worthless other than a fishing sinker.
Good hunting,
David

The extreme whitness could be the photograph or the effect of the soil

it was found in.

HH,

Hay Steve,

I would say that musket ball is 150 years old, at least. Judging form it,
I would say more like 200 years old.

It takes over 150 years to get a covering like that around here.

Here is a photo. There are lead balls from World War I artillary rounds
that I dug on the right. They are made just like musket balls. But in
the 90 odd years they have been in the ground, there was little white
covering. Also, what covering was there, wore off easily after they were
dug.

On the left is a Civil War mini ball and two old musket balls. Out of
stupidity, I scraped the musket balls some. (never again) But you can
still see that some of the white covering is still there.

The ones on the left are deffinitely older than the 1900's and yours
looks like it may be even older.

9-2-1.jpg

Maybe that will help.

I am not an expert, but it sure looks old to me.

Happy Hunting,

Tabdog