Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NEED HONEST ADVISE

harryo

HI Was thinking of getting a different detector,Like to hunt parks for coins DEEP coins Have a minelab now and wanted to know what tesoro model would punch deeper on coins than the sov. minelab. I know i would want the 10x12 coil for it also and what models would support the big coil? Have never tried a TESORO before and read some good reports about them, so any good advice would be nice . Thanks

..on guys using the Silver uMax with the12x10 coil. For the price and performance, it's a great set up.

I have a Tejon with the stock and 5.75 inch concentric coils. It hits coins DEEP, but it's a more expensive set up.Plus, it's not really a 'coin machine' with the higher frequency. It was made as a relic machine but I also got it for dry sand hunting on the beach. Get into a place where there are lots of tabs and aluminum and it hits hard on those targets, although the dual discriminators help out. But, not sure how much depth is lost when upping the discrim. I use very low ( just above iron) on my Tejon when hunting. And I dig everything except the squishy, broken sounding small iron targets in the sand.

Since you have never tried a Tesoro, I would think the Silver would be your best bet, unless you need manual ground balancing due to your soil.

I am not sure what Minelab you are using, but the Silver is a no brainer set up machine.

JC

from the reports i've seen as far as coins and wanting something deep i guess i would go with the vaquero because of the manual ground balance this thing can be super tuned to get another inch or so i've read, i don't own one yet but that will be next on my list and by the time i'm done i think i'm going to own the whole line up

Your sovereign is a pretty good detector.

Tesoro does not make a detector that costs as much as a new sovereign. Every Tesoro I have used performs very well. They have all been excellent values. They are very light and easy to swing. Best warranty in the business.

I have found the Tejon to be deep. Some reports are that it doesn't handle highly mineralized ground as well as the Vaquero.

Dave at Dixie Metal detectors (a sponsor here) does custom tuned sovereign packages. He also wrote a field report for the Vaquero that is posted on the Tesoro web site under field reports. Might want to read that.

Keep reading as much as you can and maybe just pick up a Tesoro and try one out.

It would be hard to say there is one Tesoro that would consistently punch deeper than your sovereign. Results depend on conditions where you hunt and how good the user is with the particular detector.
tvr

I have dug coins at 8-9" with the vaquero, disc slightly above nickel, sens was at 9. Don't use the boost much, if any. Some people say it gets an extra 2-3" in the boost mode. If your looking for iron relics I get stuff at 12-14" about the size of a 1/2 bolt, even deeper if its large iron. I have the stock coil and the 5.75 con, don't see any great difference between them as far as depth goes, maybe 1-1/12".

Personally I own and have used the Deleon for awhile now and I could not be happier! I believe it is one of the Tesoro's that gets left out because it is older than the new HOT circuitry detectors. I personally have dug coins as deep as 11in but i also believe any detector is capable of doing this!! I have seen it! I think most people exaggerate when it comes to depth and of course are always trying to sell "There" detector. The Deleon is light it has very accurate target ID and Depth and great target separation as well as a short learning curve. This is just how I feel about my Deleon. I wouldn't trade it for any other detector on the market today and that is being honest. Not that i would use any other i am just saying it is a keeper!!!! Oh and by the way you can use the 12x10 on the "D" . I don't think you can go wrong with any Tesoro honestly!!!!! They are simple and to the point!!!

From all the reports I've read on the Minelabs, I wonder if you're likely to find any machine, regardless of brand, that is consistently deeper on coins, if compared coil size for coil size, in the same ground with a knowledgeable operator on each. If you typically hunt parks, fair grounds etc. for older, deeper coins, it's very likely the 10X12 coil will be picking up more trash than you'd care for, making separation of good and junk targets very frustrating. The subject of coin depth can be quite frustrating as well, due to the number of inaccurate or poor guestimates of depth that get thrown around. If you can make contact with a dealer or two or other hunters with different machines to try out, you'll probably get a better idea of actual depth in your ground than well intended but optimistic opinions on the forums. My two bits.
BB

...you should think about sticking with the Sovereign. Maybe buy a bigger coil for that if you want to go with a big coil.

I used a Sov. for years and still use an Excalibur.

I bought a Cibola about two years ago and honestly I don't think it goes deeper than the Sov. does. Don't get me wrong, I love the Cibola, but it doesn't outperform a Sov. depth wise.

The Sov. is a deeeeep machine.

If your goal is depth, and competing with the Minelab, The Tesoro Tejon is the hottest running of the Tesoro clan.
Lotta front end boost.

Best,
rmptr

I would keep the sovereign until I had proof that another detector would go deeper. But on the other hand I have a Vaquero and I love it, but we have some ground with iron in it and the Vaquero has to be tuned way down or it will chatter too much , but most of the time it is a deeeep machine. I haven't tried the other Tesoros.

I think the only thing you're gonna find better with the Tesoro is the recovery speed and light weight factor. You would have to have the 10X12" coil to compete otherwise. To me, recovery speed and weight mean more than depth because of my hunting sites. Many times objects are missed because of recovery speed.

Tesoro Tejon with a standard coil is a better, lighter and more efficient detector than Minelab Sovereign GT, but it requires some learning and a good set of headphones. I do not recommend 12

Most of my hunts, depth is not the major factor. It can be in some cases, but not all. Masking is my work around so I use the 5.75 coil the most.