Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need help with my Explorer.

joovisst

I live in Sweden and have a problem with soil conditions. I can't find any settings that will limit constant chatter from the machine. I used a Garret GTA 1000 earlier and had simular problems but not to this extent.
We mainly have two types of soil, glacial deposits with different size of stones and composition mixed with sand, covered with topsoil and the other type wich is old lake bottom with a lot of clay mixed with topsoil because of plowing. So hard when dry that you will get a blister after only a couple of holes from digging. Typical build up of top soil is about 3 inches per 100 years on flat land. This makes it necessary to go deep unless you want to find pulltabs. Noise cancel doesn't help, you can do it but after only a couple of feet there will be several false beeps. I've tried low sensitvity, low gain and so forth. Last weekends made me almost throw the machine in a lake on top of said problems I had three faint deep hits wich resulted in three fot and a half by fot and a half deep holes and in all three target got lost. It's impossible to sweep the coil in a hole and the pinpointer seems to not work on my machine or at least badly. I don't know if I use pinpoint correctly, I asume that the buttons should be pressed continously because if I let go the detector goes back to previous mode. While pinpointing there is only text on the screen. Would appreciate any help.

Hi,

What type of discrimination are you using? I'd go into Iron Mask mode and mask out about 1/3 to 1/2 of your screen to start out with. I don't remember if the numbers are the same on the XS, but I use 22 on my SE. Then lower your sensitivity to about 16 and put the machine in semi-auto mode for now. See if that helps. If the falsing is minimized and you hear a relatively stable threshold then bump up the sens setting until the thresh sounds like a slow morse code as you swing the unit. Do you have the X-1 probe on it? Maybe you can't find the target because your pinpointing is off or maybe your chasing a false signal. If you're new to the Explorer just start by digging repeatable signals in two directions that have a relatively constant timbre....most other signals will be junk. Regards, Erik

You might be able to reduce the noises by adjusting the sensitivity. If your ground has too many minerals and ore like hot rocks the noises might be unavoidable.

Try resetting to facotry settings then redue your settings, clean under your coil cover, unscrew the connector between the coil cable and box the reconnect it. You may be chasing desolved iron like bolts which will give you a good signal, but once you dig them they may not register because of the disc you are using. If you have trouble with hot rocks or iron rich soil you might try opening up your disc to say 28 and use fer setting.

Dew

So I took some advice from you guys, but to make sure I drove two hours to try in other soil conditions to see if settings and cleaning worked. I will go back to the difficult spot later. I went to a hand dug canal to try the embankments. The canal was completed 1832 and I figured that the 58000 soldiers who dug it took some well deserved rests in the process, I mean they where not volunteers. During the years a lot of traffic and tourists also used the canal. If you are interested here's a link to some info about the canal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6ta_Canal When detecting in Europe you need always to take precausion not to search arceological sites, so like in this case the canal banks, all the ground has been disturbed and nothing ancient found would be where it was originally placed/lost or buried. The bank's consisted of clay,soil and bits of limestone. The detector worked just fine until I found the first interesting hit. I hit the pinpoint button and then the detect. Up came a bottlecap, all was good. I then hit detect button and continiued but quickly realising that the different tones disapeared and it was working in only one tone. I couldn't figure out how to get multiple tones back exept reseting in to factory settings. So that's what I did for the next hour after every time I used the pinpoint. Next trip I managed to figure out that I was supposed to hit pinpoint a second time and then detect to get back to where I where.(Minelab made this to complicated)
Anyway despite my shortcomings I manged to find some stuff very happy that the earlier constant shatter was gone at least. The soilders showel and the field drinking bottle I guess I would have found even with a toys are us detector LOL.
I found however some small silver coins about the size of dimes. 10