Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need help to identify

Terry

I found this shotgun shell in an old 1800"s school yard and I cannot find anything about it on the internet. I usually keep all my shell finds and have found some pretty interesting casings.

Perhaps the Milburn stamp was made for them specially, they didnt mfg shells but may have had a sporting good store or something, but the actual shell was made by Kynoch, like they did on buttons sometimes put in a retailers name, but scovilles or some other one actually made the buttons

From Wikipedia:

Kynoch was established in Witton in Birmingham in 1862 by Scottish entrepreneur George Kynoch when he opened a percussion cap factory in Witton.[1] After the First World War many of the UK ammunition and explosives manufacturers were brought together under Nobel Explosives to become Nobel Industries, which was a founding element of Imperial Chemical Industries Ltd (ICI) in 1926. Once Nobel Industries, including Kynoch Ltd, had merged to form ICI, the original Kynoch factory in Witton became the head office and principal manufacturing base of the 'ICI Metals Division'. Kynoch along with names such as Eley became brands of subsidiaries.
With the standardization of cartridges across the Western powers and a general downturn in ammunition requirements, the sidelines in sporting cartridges were discontinued by Imperial Metal Industries (IMI) in 1970. IMI became independent of ICI in 1977 still producing rimfire and shotgun cartridges for the sporting markets. The more economically viable production of shotgun and rimfire ammunition continued. The Ammunition Division was incorporated separately as Eley Limited in 1983. Kynoch also produced motorcycles.

A British company has licensed the Kynoch name to produce the older range of ammunition with modern materials.

Check out this web site: You might find someting on it here.: http://members.shaw.ca/cartridge-corner/shotgun.htm You will have to "copy and paste" to the adress line.