Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need help finding jar of silver dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Douglas

I went to a park the other day with my MXT and an older gentlemen came up to me and asked for my help. He had buried a jar
of silver dollars in his back yard 4-5 years ago and can't remember it's exact location. He does remember that it was buried 14-16 inches deep and has a general area of 15 feet by 15 feet marked out where it should be. At the time, I had the 10 inch double D on my machine. I got some hits in a short period of time, by the older man was so excited he couldn't keep his metal shovel out of my way. We dug a few holes, but it wasn't what we were looking for. Is the MXT even capable of reaching this depth. I also have the stock 950 hoop, eclipse 5.3, and the eclipse shooter dd. I was using the coin mode with default settings the first time I looked for it. So my question to you guys is, first will the MXT get this deep, second if so what hoop would be the best for it, and third what setting should I use.
I would really like to help this guy out, so any help would be great. I will take pictures and post them if I can find the silver dollars......

THANKS FOR LOOKING!!!!!!!!!!

Doug from Albany, Oregon

Did he described in what type of container he buried it in ? See if you can get a more precise location from him .
In coin and jewelry mode with the gain a little higher than factory setting and disc set a 0 (all metal )
you will get lots of signals.. If its an overload just move it around in pin point you'll find the size of the target.
Hopefully he buried it with a big metal lid or laid it side ways that will make it easier for you to detect it.
If its a big target you'll find it at that depth.
Some one on the forum will share more info for sure.
Good luck hope you find it and he gives you some reward for your trouble.

Joel-Winnipeg said:
Did he described in what type of container he buried it in ? See if you can get a more precise location from him .
In coin and jewelry mode with the gain a little higher than factory setting and disc set a 0 (all metal )
you will get lots of signals.. If its an overload just move it around in pin point you'll find the size of the target.
Hopefully he buried it with a big metal lid or laid it side ways that will make it easier for you to detect it.
If its a big target you'll find it at that depth.
Some one on the forum will share more info for sure.
Good luck hope you find it and he gives you some reward for your trouble.

Forgot to mention,
I use the stock coil on my MXT

Thank you for the input, The man said it was in a glass jar with a metal lid an it has 12 silver dollars in it, I do think this man is on the up an up,. He is in this 80s, In the time I was there I never got a overload but got alto hits of all types, but none that I would say good hits, most where Iron.

Thank you Joel

If it were me, I would be using the stock 9 1/2" coil. Crank the gain to around 9 should be good enough. Discriminate all iron and nickel readings say around to 3. There should be a good size signal when you go over it. It might not overload since it's so deep, but still a good signal. Now that's what I would try first. Good luck and keep us posted. Nancy

Thank you Nancy, I know you like the 950 so that's my next try at this, I didn't think I would get a overload since it's so, but i did think it would show up on the VDI but maybe not. Thanks again for you input

Doug From Albany Ore

If I were in your situation, I would hunt in All Metal mode with any of the larger coils. You could bet the farm if they were there it would be the strongest signal in the ground. Your signal might show up in the negative numbers due to a phenomenon called wrap around. Your VDI scale is not linear, but a circle. -95 is right next to +95, not at at opposite ends of the scale as many think. You can have wrap around without overloading the detector.

If you know someone who has a dozen silver dollars and a jar, an air test will tell you what to expect when you go over them in the ground and the maximum depth you can get. A piece of wire used as a probe could save him from digging every big hit you get with the detector too.

Good luck.

Hi Douglas

Years ago when I first got my XLT, a lady from a couple blocks over asked if I could find her properties corner markers. That was no problem but at one marker, first there was a faint iron sound that turned out to be a canning jar upsidedown with a lid with the middle rusted out. Now i got a faint 90 VDI reading and digging down further, pulled about 30 dollars in dimes, quarters and halves, all in silver. The lady then told me that her husband years ago buried some jars full of silver coins but she thought she had found them all.

The point that I am getting to is that possibly your 20 silver dollars in a jar is not a special case but does have some special detecting considerations. The coins are probably sitting at the bottom of the jar and the jar might still have a steel lid on the top which can mask the coins underneath. The MXT should hear the lid with no problem with disc. turned off and at high sensitivity. Being fairly close to a house, the iron and trash is probably prevelant and will have to be removed first in order to be able to hear the faint lid ring or even the faint silver dollars, unless you can check out each target individually to find the can lid. Also, the probe
Idea submitted below is an excellent idea,,,

Best of luck and happy hunting,,,,,,,How.

Good luck with your hunt. I just hope that this 80 year old man, isn't remembering a jar that he buried 40 or 50 years ago in the yard where he lived at that time. Why would a 75 year old man bury and jar with 12 silver dollars in it? I have known several people around that age who live in the past. I hope this isn't the case this time.

Take care, Dave

I am 75, therefore an EXPERT on aging. :drinking: I agree that this doesn't sound sound quite right.. his getting over-excited about signals that might be a lousy twelve bucks seems odd. OK, it might be a false memory or memory of something from a different time frame or even from a dream. :sadwalk: Whatever, it won't make much difference to you except for a very few hours of your time. You might be there yourself someday if you live long enough. :lol: What he needs to do is give you a little more information - how deep? what kind of jar? is the lid on the "up" side? and can he keep his tater digger out of the way long enough for you to analyze the signals a little bit? Your main target is most likely the lid. If it was a canning (mason) jar, the lid is probably zinc, not steel, and about 3" in diameter. If it is at an easily detected depth you should be able to size the target pretty well and tell if it is the same size in all directions. Burying a similar lid at a similar distance might be informative. Those little fun size projects make good THing memories in the long run. :wiggle:

Yeh, on sleeping on the subject, I was thinking that too, and that I should have thought more and been specific on the "depth" question. We talking about a 16 inch HOLE, or a 16 inch target? 16 inches is a heap of dirt to get through -- how often do you dig a relic that's 16 honest to god inches deep? I've read that maybe most serious fruit jar caches run "about elbow deep." If that means to the top (lid), the Hole is going to be about 7 inches deeper than that .... nearly two feet deep. It could be why not many are found by accident. From fingertip to elbow crook on me is 16-17 inches. There's a not-very-reliable rule of thumb that maximum depth capability of a coil approximates the coil's diameter. I don't believe it, but its another indicator that 16 inches is a Far Reach. :blink: Also, he indicated there's a lot of junk in the upper soil, which will have some masking effect. A larger coil (12-14"?) would (I think) ignore some of the smaller stuff but still leaving plenty to sort out or dig out of the way. Hmmm- this could be a pretty educational project. I think I need to go coil shopping. :unsure:

I've dug horse shoes around that range and dug an old plow end up at around 2 feet deep one time. Me and a buddy done thought we hit a chest of treasure from the civil war and dug like 2 mad men. I'm saying that your detector will reach that depth on that many silver coins. If it's there and the coil goes across it then it will show up.