Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need Beach Hunting Tips

Buddysox

Hey, Guys, At the end of this month I am going to get a rare chance to do some beach hunting in San Diego. I have never been on the beach with my Exp 2 with SEF 10x12 coil and x-1 pinpointer. Have about two years experience in all kinds of places except beaches. Where I am going is Pacific beach. In town and a lot of people. What are the best techniques that make a difference? Does the wet salt sand make a difference in settings? Dry sand? Where is the best place to hunt? At the water line or further up where people sit? Got about three days and I don't want to waste them, any and all tips would be appreciated! Thanks.

The explorer will do fine with the SEF coil on the beach, i used the same combo before getting the etrac, the 15x12 is slightly better but also heavier. Set up the disc to reject iron and dig the rest, you could also use iron mask about 29-27 depending on the beach. The foil sound could be fine gold rings so be very carefull what you disc out. Regards wet vs dry, the explorer will perform flawlessly, if you run hot you might have to drop the sens a number or 2 in the real wet(don't forget its not waterproof in the surf)

Where on the beach, that is a good question, dry sand usually gives fresh dropped coins and more rubish etc and the wet less trash, older stuff and the jewelry
Good luck

Ive hunted the several times and the multi freq is ideal for the beach it transitions well between wet and dry sand. Ive hunted corronado island there and did well. Ive found there are three, LANES.... the one, the one in the water.... one about 10 feet from the tide at low tide, then the high tide line. I always start hunting at the surf line and work toward the sun bathers. I dig a good many of the signals especially the deep ones. Sometimes toe rings and earring studs give deep signal ID. You can hunt in the surf a little, but remember the box isnt... and never raise the coil above the box water will run toward the box. Ive had my best finds about 10 feet from the surf. If you start digging everything.... look back and where you have dug you will see a deffent patter where you are finding things. Hunt at LOW tide or you are missing the best part of the beach. If you dont have a cover over your box use something the ocean mist gets on everything......wipe it down EVERY time you get back. Keep the coil on the ground the explorer doesnt like air space. Hunt in AM with as high a sensitivity as you can.... for me it was 28 gain 9. Hope you have a scoop or shovel.... you will be digging deep stuff. Id suggest you go over to the BEACH forum and leave a post as well.... those guys hunt it every day. Have a ball.... ill be beach hunting in Fla jan, feb and mar.

Dew

Thanks Dewcon, and all for the tips. I will go to the beach forum and post,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,DUH, I didn't even know we had one

If you want to find gold on a beach the most likely place is a bit out in the water. Where the waves brake there will be sharp edge about 4 to 5 inches high. Unless you have a underwater detector you must wait until water level drops. Beaches exposed to tides and high seas I don't have so much experience from so I don't know if the dropoff forms there to. What happens is that wave action is moving objects in, but they are usully not tossed ashore and also items are moved out by high waves pulling them out. It's astonishing on some beaches how everything is i a narrow band of about a foot wide. Why the gold is there is because fingers shrink when getting cold and rings slip of with ease lubricated by the water. It's just a general tip not concerning any perticular detector.