Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need beach advice please !!!!!:hot:

RONALD99

Hello i own a Minelab 1000 and a SE. I have been to Florida beach a couple times this past year,and I'm in need of good advice please.I wait till low tide and walk the wet area sand,for a couple of hours,Can some of you tell me what i need to do to locate the Chains and Rings please.Do i need to Detect in the water during low tide to better my chances of locating more item's,Please any and all suggestions,would be a great help, I only get a week every couple of month's to go to Florida,due to where I'm living,and I'm wanting this to be my best trip yet,and it will be with the help of all that will respond. Thank you all,and i look forward to the help please.Ronald99 :rofl:

When someone gets in the ocean the cold temperature cause fingers to shrink which make rings loose. When these folks come out of the ocean, the first thing they do is shake off the water and in some cases, the rings too. This doesn't mean rings are on the slope, they can be anywhere because of the shifting sands constantly moving things around. Same for necklaces but for the most part they'll be in the water as most are lost there anyway. Your best bet is to work a tight zig zag pattern from the slope to chest deep waters. When you start finding stuff, like coins or other items of interest, tighten your pattern and work the area harder. Then move on. Truthfully, there's no magic spot or sweet area. It really depends on ocean currents and the sand movements.

Be careful out there. Be able to drop your gear when needed and don't tether anything to you that can't be removed at the flick of a quick release lever. I have everything on a weight belt and if I need freedom to swim I can just pull the buckle lever and I'm done. It takes less than a second! Ruts, grooves and berm (sand bar) edges will trick you in Florida. At Daytona Beach I walked out 20 yards to 4 feet of water and found a huge sharp drop off at the end of the bar. Be careful where you step! Can you imagine sliding off that and down into 10 feet of water while gear is tied on you?

Another worry is those dam ruts or trenches. The rip currents can erode the floor into a super huge ditch that will surprise you if your not careful. I use my scoop handle to probe sands in front of me so I can find edges. I use my coil to feel around them to see if they're deep. If you loose your balance the first reaction is to drop your scoop. The second is to step on the sharp corner of it. Basically, you'll need some water sandals or you could ruin your vacation with a few stitches on your toe. Not only that there is glass, fish hooks and other things that are far worse and could happen.

While in the ocean you find you're probing in soft sand and your feet are sinking in it, then you're in a bad spot. Chances are you won't find anything there because it will be too deep. Find the firm to hard stuff! Things don't sink fast there and are still in range for your detector.

Not all beaches are real productive. Beaches with crowds and hotels produce the best while areas with condos and homes produce less but higher quality items. Hotel people wear and loose their finery because they do not want to leave it in the hotel room. Next, watch where the people congregate the most.......droppings are better there. And then take the advice of Steve and Bia when in the water.

Wow that was some great advice Steve and Bia, I am also going to FL this July. I already have the "wading shoes" $20 from Bass Pro, and a quick release belt that I have the Tiger Shark attached to. Anything else us "beach newbies" should know? Thanks for the soft sand tip!! HH Joe

I live in Naples ,FLA.I've been here for 54 yrs.I've been huntting Fla. waters for 28 yrs. Most water in the Gulf is shallow The best thing to do is to walk back and forth,from the beach to the deep until you find the a trench,this is the spot where heavy things settle.Find this spot and you willfind your Gold and things.Or you can read read, Water Hunting:Secrets of the Pros By Clive James Clynick ,

Dixie Metal Detectors Sell this Book

Happy Hunting Ron Lord

I want to take this time to thank all that has responded,Steve and Bia,I also want to thank you on the safety issue walking in the water risk,I'm going back to Fla this Wednesday,and i hope i come away with some kind of treasure,I found coins,and other metal,last time,This time I'm hopeing some Spanish get's detected.I also own a Minelab 2200 do you think i would have any advantage bringing this detector along,I know not to get wet ?? Again thank you all that provided the advice to my question.