Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

need advise ...

alex

I have a plan,.. i want to put digital meter for sovereign on my exacibur ... so the unit must be hip mount and waterproof and digital meter will hang on my chest, i can see before i dig .... and be in water by waist. Dos it make a sense ????
Thanks,
Alex.

I don't know for sure but there is a good possibility that the TID circuitry needed to make the meter work is not in an Excalibur. There is no need for it so there is no reason for Minelab to have gone to the trouble and extra expense to include it. JMHO

HH

Beachcomber

Alex, I am an advid water-hunter, and I WOULD NOT DO THAT!! Just PUT IN THE TIME to learn the EXCALS' TONE ID, because NO METER is a 100% ACCURATE, so that is a TOTAL WASTE of time and money!! HH, Les Robinson

I believe the meter is just measuring current or resistance or such as there's a sov mod whereas folks buy cheap digital volt meters and attach them to their sovereigns. I looked at one site that has a link to the mod, but the link is broken, perhaps someone else knows a page that has this mod and you can check to see how it's connected.

Agree completely...a meter at the beach is a complete waste of time. As I asked another hunter (and never got an answer) - What signal is it you would choose NOT to dig? What number would you pass up? What would you decide is NOT worth digging?

A 176, thinking it's a penny? That would be a good bet, but it COULD be a fat gold ring. Or a deep silver ring or chain.

A 144 because it's probably a nickel? Again, just as likely it's a gold ring. More likely than the 176.

A 140 because it's probably a pull tab? Gold just as likely.

A 180 because it's probably a quarter or a dime?

I can tell a penny from the tone 95% of the time. I can be reasonably sure I have a nickel about the same. I can be 98% sure I have a bottlecap when I do.

The tones are the key. A meter at the beach is useless and risks the future usability of the meter needlessly. In my humble opinion.

Imo, I think the meter is a great learning tool.
After you learn the sounds with id, then maybe you don't need to use it any longer.

The sovereign has 6 pins coming out of the coil connector. 2 of the supply a 0-1.8V signal to the meter. This signal is produced inside the control box and fed out the connector. I'm not sure is the Excalibur has this.

There was a guy there, maybe one or two years ago that put a sovs innards and the meter innards as well into a whites beach hunter box. I think it was Paul from CA or maybe not, its been awhile.

I like a meter sometimes on a beach, it helps cut down on alot of digging and your can zone in more on what your looking for. I think it helps more in the summer when youve got alot of targets to choose from and only have a few hours to hunt.

Now MIke makes a good point about the 176 reading(zinc penny) that could be a fat gold ring but you have to play the odds as well when you hunt and Ive only found 2 rings in all my years of hunting that read there, one is a 14k class ring that is so big it slips over my thumb easily and the other is a large mens wedding band that is 22k. And most of my years hunting was without a meter and a good bit without a tone machine as well, so I dug everything from from foil up. You look in your finds bag at the end of hunt and count how many quarters, dimes and copper pennies youve found and have spent the time digging(some of your deepest digs are going to be those quarters) and take a guess at how much more time you could have spent hunting for what your really after had you not dug those coins. Quarters do add up, no argument there, but how many of them do you have to dig to equal one gold ring? especially these days with the price of gold. so its really just a matter of choice, how you want to spend your time, what you think the "odds" are of finding a huge ring and all. you could dig up to 176 easily enough also and stop there.........Id love to see some pics of gold rings that read 177 or higher on the sov meter....are there any?????

HH
Neil