Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need advice on scoops

boxtopp,
In my opinion it depends on the lake bottom. If it is sandy, a big long handle water scoop that holds about a gallon of material, if a lot of shallow clay or it is pretty rocky, I go to a long handled scoop that holds about 2 quarts. In either case, scoop needs to be able to have you push the back of it with your foot. I prefer stainless steel. Some others like aluminum.
tvr

http://www.rtgstore.com/ i get mine from Reilly's iv got 2 of them the RTG# BB6 and the #733.both aluminum and are great scoops!

if you look thru previous scoop posting's you'll see a large variety of models. I prefer a large basket with the handle at 90 deg. i like to recover the target on the first scoop, the bigger the basket, the better the odds of this happening. However there is the issue of weight,
the bigger the scoop the heavier it is usually. you must also remember that big baskets hold lots of lake bottom, which is way heavier than the scoop itself. that is the reason that i prefer the 90 deg. handle. if i lift straight up on a 90 deg handle scoop it doesn't spill bottom material & potentially the target out as easily as a scoop that has a handle at an angle. i don't have strong enough wrists to tilt a large load of lake bottom back to keep it from spilling out of scoop.

i would recogmend a handle that floats, thus i use a wooden handle. if/when you let go of scoop handle it is usually easily seen and recovered.

i also use a sifter to deposit scoops of lake bottom in and let wave action sift off all of the light stuff (sand, mud, etc) every so often i use a vibraprobe to locate targets that aren't visible in larger debri like gravel. for me this speeds up recovery time significantly, thus giving me more time to find targets in the bottom. it also has increased the number of small targets i recover exponentially!

these are just my opinions, and i'm sure you will find many others, read them all and use what works best for you.

here are some pictures of my equipment. hope this helps!

[attachment 111897 bellyofthebeastresized.jpg]

[attachment 111898 rightfrontquarteringviewresized.jpg]

[attachment 111899 sifterwithtoeringandclad1resized.jpg]

hh steve

Hi Kapt,

Great looking scoop!!! You still haven't let me know how to get one for myself.

Regards and best wishes,

Cupajo

If you can find a old Miller scoop or someone that can make you one that is the best underwater scoop ever build. They come with a curved handle.They dig about 40 lbs. of sand at a time. HH Ron Lord Naples,Fl.

Allot of guys use Babb Scoops.They are well made and never given me any problems. Use daily and still looks new. I would suggest that you get one with a steel lip, makes digging sand full of shells easier.
As far as digging with a scoop that can dig 40 pounds, way too big and way too much weight for scooping for an average person.

Lifting and moving 40 lbs over and over in a period of hours becomes quite tiring. 40lbs weighs the same if it is feathers or wet sand. The average individual will have an issue with premature fatigue, if you are able to handle it, great.

I been lifting that 40 lbs. of sand for over30 years ,along with all them Gold,Silver Rings and coins work good for me.The weight is nothing it digs fastand if you have never use a miller scoop don't complane because you don't know what you are talking about.

I went back and looked at all your posts I noticed a trend, you seem to be very confrontational when someone disagrees with you. Like all people in this country, you are entitled to your opinion as am I. With experience and age, maturity is usually a byproduct, what happened? I think it is wonderful you have been doing this for thirty years, I wish you much more success.

40 pounds in the water and out of it are two different things!

I agree, 40 lbs of sand in water is not a big deal, if it is only sand! The question was posted on what to use for lake hunting, not necessarily the pristine sands of the Gulf coast of South Florida. If it is sand like in Naples Florida, yea no problem, if it is lake bottom with mud or sand mud mix, or peat-moss, sand and mud, 40 lbs may be too much to lift as it will not sift through the holes and recovery will be more difficult. There is not one scoop on the market that is best for all areas. Good luck finding a scoop that works best for you in your area, Boxtop.

On the lake a good S-steel or alum.sand scoop the size of scoop well your choice and a sifter for the mud and junk. A sifter is a valuable tool especially on the lake and water holes..

Thanks guys for your advice and opinions.
I found a nice deal on a scoop made by a local here in the great San Joaquin valley california.
I've been metal detecting for about 12 years and have never water hunted before until just recently. The one thing that stands
out most for me is how peaceful it is water hunting in lakes.
I got out yesterday and made a few neat finds.
Here is the scoop I got, also the silver bracelet and Ike dollar I got on my first water hunt.

Terrific results on your hunt!
Scoop looks well braced, like you can push it with your foot and small enough to deal with if loaded with clay.
Looks like you are on well your way in the water hunting department!
tvr

Nice Looking scoop and congratulations on the finds !
may the lord bless you with more !good finds!