Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need advice on Explorer Se Pro...

Kenny Ray

I just recently purchased an Explorer Se Pro.I had been using the old XS for the past 10 years and it finally died on me.I used be able to take a screwdriver and touch a coin before digging with my old XS' pinpointing.I can't seem to get the hang of the Se Pro's pinpointing.My old XS would hone in to an area the size of a dime.My new Se Pro seems to have too big and wide of a tone for finding something as small as a dime.I can't seem to hone in tight enough like my old XS did. have Andy Sabisch's book coming in next week on the Se Pro.I'm sure it will all come together some day,but could someone give me a tip that would make it easier to pinpoint.I wish they wouldn't have changed it from the old XS...Thanks,Kenny Ray

I had same problem with the 11'' pro coil I switched back to the 10'' slime line and had much better success both pinpointing and finding. I don't care for the pro coil at all how about the rest of you users?

I've had my explorer se pro since last march use it at the beach with good results, pinpointing in the wet sand I put the coil on the sand and move forword and back then side to side about four inches target
is always dead center of coil, I found that the explorer se pro likes to be in contact with the ground when pinpointing or as close as you can get to the ground with the coil in pinpointing to be dead center on the target

jim42 said:
I had same problem with the 11'' pro coil I switched back to the 10'' slime line and had much better success both pinpointing and finding. I don't care for the pro coil at all how about the rest of you users?

The slimline coil got a bad rap right out of the gate but I find its a great coil also. The pro coil is lighter but performance between the two, at least on ocean beaches, is minimal.

It takes a while to get used to the vco pin pointing on the SE and Etrac after using a XS or XSII. You will get the hang of it before long and recognize its superiority.. I use the Pro Coils on both my SE and Etrac and have never had a problem getting dead center but have always used the center of the coil and the 90 degree turn method... Dont let anybody talk you out of your Pro Coil......wildherre

Thanks fellas,I'm going to try my other coils and see what it does.What does it mean by VCO pinpointing? I also noticed that with my old XS when the find was in the dirt on the side of the hole I could pass my coil over it and watch the depth meter until it went all the way up when it was right under the coil.I can put the new 11" pro coil on top and I hear it but and it's under the coil but the depth meter shows 6"....

the pro coil is a fantastic coil for depth, as far as pinpointing i have never touched the pinpoint button ever on my explorers i just walk my detector until the sound falls off then its right under the edge of the coil

Thats basically what I do too, I dont messy a whole lot with the pinpoint. I will do the M.L. wiggle to the top edge of the coil. One thing the manuel doesnt tell you is to set the coil down on the side of the target then press the p.p.
Aaron

I think I know what your problem is...Like a couple of the others have mentioned, you cannot switch to pinpoint with the coil directly over the target.. If you are in a area with few targets you can move a half a coil width or so off to the side before switching into pinpoint or if you are in a target rich area you may need to raise the coil straight up about a foot while keeping an eye on your spot before switching into pinpoint.. Then sit the coil directly down on top of your eyeballed spot and everything will work like it should.. Its one of those things that becomes second nature and you don't even realize you are doing it after a bit.. Any detector with a ratchet or auto minimizing pinpoint mode will work that way... The Explorer XS and XSII were the same way but the SE and Etrac are more touchy about it...wildherre

Thanks for the advice fellas.I went this morning with my old 8''XS coil and pinpointing was dead on.I think it's just that the 11'Pro coil is such a hot coil it'll take me some getting used to.With all the great advice I get from the people on here I'm sure I'll get the hang of the 11' Pro coil.Thanks for the input and happy hunting..☺..