Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NEED ADVICE: METAL DETECTOR FOR AUTISTIC BOY

OK, Heres my situation. My son has Asperger's Syndrome and Autism. He has low muscletone and gets bored easily. He thinks hes a Mortal Kombat warrior, and I feel for any detector I get him. REALLY! I'm being serious.
Im hoping someone can help me find him the perfect detector. Heres what I'm after:
1) It needs to be VERY lightweight. (low muscletone... cant stand weight on his arms for long periods.) He does OK with his Mom's 2.3 pound detector, but she wont give it up, and its too complicated for him anyways.
2) It needs to be TOUGH!!! He swings it at imaginary people sometimes... I know,ANY detector will break if you use it like a baseball bat, but I just want strong as in... not fragile. I was thinking of maybe a Tesoro on that point, or something with a lifetime warranty for when it DOES break... (hopefully that wont happen...)
3) It needs to hunt like a Garrett Groundhog with a sniper coil. In other words, always on pinpoint, all metal... (he'd be just as happy finding hot wheels cars as jewelry) and NO adjustments. He just wants to know theres something metal under there, and that its only a couple inches down. No real digging. 5" should be plenty deep enough for mulch parks and grassy areas. Id rather the head be bigger than a sniper coil, but Id like the constant pinpoint mode for him, rather than the regular search modes.
4) STRESSING #3... pinpoint mode ALWAYS on.
5) a needle (analogue?) display would be fine. A computer display like on the Ace 250 would be too much. I want to get him interested in it first, then work him up to a better machine in a few years. Remember HES AUTISTIC, so the norm dont apply to him.
6) CHEAP! He's nine. I dont want to spend much on it in case he hates it. I have sparked his interest, but havent got him snagged yet.

Any suggestions???

Though I have never used one, it seems the Predator 2 from Kellyco might be interesting. It is listed as being built on the Garrett platform. Some detectorists suggest dealing with a fellow named JW at Kellyco. Give him a call, can't hurt.

HH
BarnacleBill