Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need advice everyone :clapping:

lilmax25

In your opinion, what is the cheapest but not a toy and works good digging tool to use for a beginner detector?
Also, if you could please explain why and a place as to where i can buy it.

hey i use a screwdriver with a rounded off tip as to not scratch any coins or finds. a 15 dollar cheapo pinpointer from harbor frieght could buy better if you want to spend more....as far as digging? Home Depot has a good garden spade. flat along one side and jagged along the other, with a forked tip. works pretty good. you could also look into maybe a good camping shovel i havent gone down that route yet though. oh and here some tips i got from another avid THer. the washer rings used for garbage disposals. the ones the attach to the sink drain and the disposal sits on...those make good plugs. just find your target set it down in the grass and step on it. when you pull it out a nice plug comes with it so i heard, and for hard dirt a straight ended hammer for chipping away the dirt i heard works well to.....

I have a decent one I bought from kmart, it has a telescoping handle that had a knack for coming loose and slamming down onto you hand :) OUCH - but nothing a self-tap screw cant take care of. Now the handle is locked down in the un-extended position, and after going through 4 trowels/diggers with poor results, I'think I've found a winner. (The plastic trowel in the pic is for size reference)
[attachment 93053 DSC00033.JPG]

Lowes sells a digger , Ames planters buddy for around 14.00 , most people like it .
I have one , but prefer a large hunting knife :wave:

Terri

310849620.jpg

I use a fiskars gardening tool.. picked it up for 2.99 at menards.

Its real similar to a lesche, kinda wicked looking, digs real good.

dobbie said:
hey echo....thats the same one i use the ames
Hey Dobbie , Do you like using it ? I really dont ! But I will use it in Tot Lots.
It doesnt get me the same looks as the dagger :devil:

Terri

I like a old hunting knife myself,, cut a three quarter circle,, lift the lid,, remove silver and put it back,,

Hay Lilmax,

I use a Fiskers.

Got it at Wal-Mart for about $8.

A few other places sell it also.

I like it a lot.

It cuts really good.

It will cut you til you get used to it.

It's strong.

The handle does not hurt your hand (very important).

The little fork on the end will snap small roots with a twist.

Very good digger at a low cost.

fiskers.jpg

HH,

I like the sound of that one...didn't realize walmart had one like that, I'm gonna have to give 'er a shot.

Echo---ya i love it...the dagger is way cooler though. i get wierd looks when i carry my screwdriver around alot to...

I use the Ames Planter from Lowes too. It cuts a real nice plug down to about 6 inches with ease, saws right through roots and is easy to keep sharp with a file. Very strong, doesn't bend or twist and is stainless steel-no rust! In open plowed fields, creeks beds and sand bars a stout bayonet that was bought for $10 at a gun show is a useful tool. I used to carry a military surplus trench tool like the guy in the You Tube videos but soon left that in the truck - too bulky. Keep us posted on your finds.

HH - twalton

Tracker IV
Pioneer 202

Everyone has their favorite tools.As you get more experienced in digging targets,you change or try new tools untill you find what suits you best.Coin hunters tend to use different tools than relic hunters.Most of the time,a relic hunter will be able to use larger shovels to dig a target,while the coin hunter must use something much smaller to make as small a hole as possible in yards and parks.
I am a coin hunter,so--
The trowel digger I use is made from two separate garden trowels.The blade is from Lowe's and the handle from WalMart.
The knife is an old bayonet(from a gun show) that had a broken tip.Ground the blade to a point,then installed wood on the hand grip and ground to fit.Good strong steel in those old bayonets.I have dug thousands of targets with both of these tools and neither has ever bent.
Waterbug

I use the Ames True Value trowel. Got it at Lowes. It works well here in central Texas. When the sun dries out the soil, it becomes like packed clay and you have to have a strong tool. In a few places we have already hit 100 degrees in the afternoon and digging can be tough.

I also use the $8.00 fiskars but to be honest I have had to Epoxy the handle back on once but it is holding, it works well and cuts small roots also.

The most expensive is the cheapest because you only have to buy it once. Buy the Lesche.

My first ten years of detecting I tried and ruined at least a dozen diggers, tools etc. Been using the same Lesche for the last 6 years.

In my opinion its the "Ames-Tru-temper planter buddy" Like echostar61 said. Its all I use and I just cant break it.
I got mine at our local large sized Hardware store.

That's expensive Daniel A., but it looks like a nice 1-piece jobbie...where'd it come from? I'm going to check Tractor Supply, since my wife won't let us shop at WalMart :nono:
Daniel A. said: