Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need a little help

petew

I have a choice to make,and would like any input...I plan on water hunting this year...I have a at pro with both coils,it's out of warrenty and Definatly not waterproof,not anymore.But it works 100%...so,I'm looking to get another at ,and was thinkin of the gold.Ill use my at pro for land if I would benefit better with a at gold in the water? I just don't know..Should I just get another at pro?

Pete,

I can't answer your question on the best choice but I'm curious about why your ATPro may no longer be waterproof.

Along those same lines and thinking economically...
I could be wrong, but If the ATPro you have meets your needs and works perfectly, I would think you could still send it to Garret to be properly re-sealed / waterproofed for a fraction of the cost of purchasing a new ATPro. Might be worth a phone call !

The at pro I have works fine.When changing coils,the screws that hold the box on the shaft let loose,but it's got two brackets now holding the housing to the shaft...so I'm not sure it's waterproof anymore.But it's probably more sturdy than the factory screws,it's solid.And this is a older machine out of warrenty,but it works flawlessly,and I'd hate to dunk it and lose it.

IMO - That actually looks like a pretty nice repair job but I can understand your concern.

I assume those are self tapping screws as opposed to having nuts on the inside ?

I must admit, If it were me with that detector as it looks now I would just do a couple cautionary tweaks with some marine silicone sealant and call it good to go.

"One at a time".... I would carefully remove one of the 1/2 inch brackets and
- fill the screw holes with silicone sealer
- coat the threads with silicone sealer
- coat the bottom of the clamp generously with silicone sealer at the attachment points
- carefully put the clamp back (snug it tight by hand) and clean the excess.
- full sealant cure is 24 hrs or less

If that were done to both clamps, I seriously doubt it would ever leak due to your repair. Any water pressure on that detector is relatively insignificant.

Over the years I've used that method to attach quite a few transponders and various mounting brackets to the hulls of power boats (aluminum and fiberglass) below the waterline and have never had a leak of any sort. The sealant will also keep the screws from ever loosening. With that sealant you can also remove and re-attach the control box pretty easily any time should there be a need..

My housing posts broke off like yours. Called Garrett. New housing, tune up, about $70 little more or less. If you want new, they will discount your old machine on a trade for new. No sweat, save maybe $4-5 hundred. By the way, my rebuild Pro is a killer.
Couldn't B better.

It will not perform too well in salt water. If hunting fresh water, the true all metal mode will definitely work in your favor giving you more depth and sensitivity.

I live in western Pennsylvania,outside of Pittsburgh some.i will only be going freshwater.

I would send it in and let them do a tune up. They are wonderful and has helped me accomplish my updates. Call them!