Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NC Rivers and Riverbeds ?

MichaelB

Hello everyone :).....

I live in the western part of NC (Transylvania County) and am located right on the bank of the North Fork of the French Broad River. Over a year ago I got an MXT (love that machine) and purchased an Eclipse 4 x 6 Shooter DD coil to go with it. Now I'd like to ask a question on behalf of my brother - who suffers from a terrible case of "gold fever"....

I got the MXT with the intention of detecting everything and anything, and I've been having a blast doing just that... however my brother is determined to use the machine to go nugget hunting along the river, less than 100 yards from the house. Numerous internet searches about the history of gold in the immediate area has yeilded absolutely nothing; which isn't very encouraging. Nevertheless, I'd like to ask if any of you may know if nugget hunting in this area is a good idea, or probably just a waste of time ? Is there anyone else in western NC that has hunted for gold in and around the rivers ?

Pointers would be great - that is if this is a viable plan...:).

Many thanks !

MichaelB

If there are no records of gold production in your area, you are probably on a wild goose chase and wasting your time. Do a little research into the gold producing areas and see if you can go to one close to you.

A quick google produced this:

FHIRFIELD VALLEY PLACERS: are in southern Transylvania County between lat 35"03' and 35"08' N. and long 82"50' and 83"00' W., in the northern drainage area of the Toxaway River.
This area has been only briefly discussed in the published literature. Most of the production was in the 1800's; deposits have been idle for many years. The gravels along Georgetown Creek, one of the tributaries of the Toxaway, yielded between $200,000 and $300,000 in gold (about 10,000 to 15,000 ounces). Considerable reserves of auriferous gravels remained in the area.

Cool interactive map of NC gold deposits:

http://www.lib.unc.edu/ncc/ref/maps/Gold%20Map/Cm912g%20G618n.html

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HUNTING!

Georgetown creek happens to be under Fairfield lake and 20 foot of ice cold mountain water. I have a 1905 topo map of it somewheres, learned this the hard way.In 1985 they drained the lake and exposed the old sluice box workings I heard. Its all privately owned now by Sapphire Lake realty I think and a private girls camp.

-Tom

Me and a buddy may be down that way this fall to gold dredge/highbank. I also have an MXT and a LOBO ST.I heard there are gemstones to find in some of them rivers too especially emeralds. I do some map dowsing for gold and gem stones.I have found some small gold deposits doing this, no gemstones yet.My email is tvanwho@yahoo.com

--Tom

hey I grew up there and now i own a 3 inch suction dredge ill be up this summer sometime looking to get in the river below the falls if possible.There is a large placer deposit there some good gold.I know the land there well like i said i grew up there so let me know if you want to try out dredging.
klondikemyke@yahoo.com plus if you have any good places to get in the river near the road let me know if you dont mind.

Sure... sounds good to me...:).
Just get me the dates as soon as you have them. I have personal access to parts of the North Fork of the French Broad River...

Michael B

broad river runs straight through the eastern gold belt just so ya know.Ill let you know a few weeks before i come up ill be dredging uwharrie river next week got some access to a private stretch but ill try and make plans to come before september.

by the way if you come down 215 twards rosman and take a right twards toxaway i grew up on the first road on the left(turnpike rd)and also down 178 behind eastatoe community center.if you continue up twards toxaway as you go up the big hill just before thorpes store on the left side about 50-60 feet into the woods there is a flat area and a creek that is an old abandoned saphire mine its kind of overgrown and there isnt really anywhere to park but if you walk down the hill from thorpes you can find it with a little luck.when i come up i can show you some more places if youd like.plus you might want to hunt the old vanderbilt wood yard with your detector i never had one but i bet there is some stuff to be found out there.how well do you know the area up there?Have you heard of the old doctors house site where you can find silver dollars dont know if you can still go there but used to be a few people who found bags of them buried around the old homesite.anyway i really hope you have some luck.Shoot me an e-mail adress and ill let you in on a secret someone told me about when i was a kid i dont want everyone on the planet to know all the good spots.

Too cool.... I'll get a PM off to you shortly !

Michael B

Looking for some help when you come up to western carolina. If so email me back and ill make plans to meet you. I just retired and have gold fever. I am originaly from northern california and had much better luck out there. Thanks Marty

Hey Myke210.... you still around ?

I've tried to get hold of you via PM and email.... no one seems to be home.

My email address is: fatnasstyhobbit@gmail.com if you see this, by all means contact me :). I'd love to hear some more of what's what in this neck of the woods.

Thanks !
MichaelB