Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Navy WWII hat insignia = Anchor's A"Way-cool" silver!

Bob in SoMd

Had about an hour and a half to hunt this afternoon. Hit an area I've been thru a couple of times near some demolished military housing. Searching the wide areas (about 10x15 yards) between the road and the sidewalks has been productive. Didn't find much for about an hour, then dug a 28 VDI and pulled the lead bullet. Don't know what it is but it's a bit smaller than a minie and a bit larger than a Civil War pistol bullet. Any ideas???

[attachment 171708 ImportedPhotos00015.jpg]

Then I dug a VDI 60 at 4 inches expecting a Zinc penny and pulled out the 1936 wheatie. Went a couple of steps and doubled back on my same line in the opposite direction. Right next to the hole that I dug the '36, I got a clean 80-81. Thought maybe I had a silver dime but at 4 inches popped this out...

[attachment 171711 ImportedPhotos00003.jpg] [attachment 171712 ImportedPhotos00004.jpg]

I knew immediately that it was a WWII-era US Navy garrison hat insignia. I found one of these in the Fall as well. This one is well marked on both pieces with STERLING on the back of the eagle's wing and 1/20 10K + STER on the back of the anchor and has the Hilborn Hamburger star stamp on the back.

After a quick rinse, she's nice as the day she was dropped...thanks for looking!

[attachment 171717 ImportedPhotos00011.jpg] [attachment 171718 ImportedPhotos00018.jpg] [attachment 171719 ImportedPhotos00007.jpg]

Oh, that pin is beautiful. That's one heck of a nice piece. BIG congrats to you Bob. HH, Nancy

Nice find. It's really nice to see all the stuff that gets dug. Some of it is pretty odd but interesting. I wish there was a museum where you could go to see the many odd artifacts that get dug. My goodness, I wish old soda cans were valuable 'cause my yard was full...well, quite a few anyway. JACK