Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Native American beads

CliffHanger

My partner the 'Wildman' has been searching this man-made ditch we call 'Bead Creek' in Northern California for close to fifty (50) years. Along with beads he has found many arrow heads and other Native American artifacts. He told me he hasn't spent more than a half hour on the this creek in the last 25 years. We were there for about an hour and he found 5 beads. My total --- 0. Some of us have the knack, some don't.
Here are some photos of the area and some of his finds over the years.
Any information, or where to find info on the beads is welcome.
None of the beads were strung together when found. Wildman strung them to keep them together.

Thanks and all the best

Cliffhanger
[attachment 50076 StrungBeadsB.JPG]
[attachment 50077 RedBeads.JPG]
[attachment 50078 4Beads.JPG]
[attachment 50080 TinyBeads.JPG]
[attachment 50082 BeadBowl.JPG]
[attachment 50083 RedBeadsampWampom.JPG]

Cliffhanger where I grew up there were lots of Indian beads, and my family used to go sifting to find them, and find them we did.

The glass beads are actually trade beads, most of them came from the Russians. We found many of those large red beads, the ones we found had yellow centers, and tended to be half an inch to an inch in length. All hand blown glass c. 1800's. We also found many blue, red and white beads, along with wampum or shell beads. Most of our beads were from the Pomo Indians, who also used them to make the finest Indian baskets in the world. Interestingly enough the largest collection of fine, period Pomo Indian baskets resides in Moscow, as the Indians would give them to the Russian sea traders as good luck charms for their journey back to mother Russia (and probably traded them as well).

I'd love to know what creek(s) your hunting, if you want to PM me, maybe we can share information ;)