Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nathan Hale Homestead.

George-CT

Not sure if I have posted this on this forum or not. If so, delete it. This is the the home of Nathan Hale, whom I'm sue most of us know from school. I took these pictures when I was there hunting for a cache on the property there. I was surprised at what I found looking around. This was late fall, and was closed up pretty much for the winter. I like these old homes and how you could get from the main house to the barns, sheds etc without having to tough the nasty new england weather.

As Nathan Hale said.

""I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country" declared Captain Nathan Hale moments before the British hanged him as a spy in 1776.

One of the first of thousands of patriots who would die in the war for American independence, Hale is Connecticut's official State Hero. He was born and spent most of the short life he courageously sacrificed on this 400-acre farm.

Hale, a Yale-educated school teacher, was commissioned a first lieutenant in the Continental Army in 1775. A year later he volunteered to go behind British lines on Long Island to gather military intelligence desperately needed by General George Washington. But the British captured Hale and, when they discovered he was a spy, executed him. He was 21.

In 1776 Hale's father rebuilt the Homestead, which has changed little since. Its furnishings include collections amassed by pioneer Connecticut antiquarian George Dudley Seymour and several Hale family possessions. "

This is about 10 miles from me. We used to do our drill team horse shows here when the kids were young.

Geo

Is this a museum now? It almost certainly cannot be a private residence. Not with that history.

Calm seas

Mikie

that is fascinating buddy. I look at that home and can visualize Nathan walking through those doors and looking out the windows. It is amazing it has lasted all these years.

How did you get permission to hunt the land and were you successful?

I don't remember you posting about it before. Thank you for posting it:thumbup:

tours, history lessons for kids and will have related goings ons there on weekends. They have some really nice Chestnut tree's there. They had died off years ago around here from some kind of blight, but the ones there are doing well. When we were kids we used to have fights with them. Not many got to be roasted over and open fire.... In their husk, they look like a spiny urchin off the sea floor bottom. All the old barns here used to be made of chestnut. They bring good money here when they can find one that someone wants gone. I have some on the property here that died off way back when. They were big.....and last a long time on the ground.

Geo

feeding those fireplaces. No wonder he wanted to be hanged. What they did is they took the Homestead and cut out the main farm section for what you see in the pictures. The rest of it is called the Nathan Hale CT State forest and is open to hunting, fishing hiking etc.
They set this catch right on the border of the Homestead and the forest in a big stone wall, which are everywhere around here. This one was in a ammo can. I think I have a picture of it here as I usually take my camera and just hold the camera and take a shot of myself and container to prove I was there. Some even require it around here in order to get credit for it. The majority of State land here is open to the public for recreational use on for a limited time depending on the season of the year. Trout fishing in spring, hiking most anytime, hunting in the fall for about 2 months.

Here is the catch link.... http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d4a4afae-0001-4ccb-aca2-b78f2cc0d9a0

and a picture of the catch.

Geo

i always see the heavy and tedious work involved in creating a place like that but would do it if i could in a heartbeat!
Thanks George:clapping:

I read about Nathan Hale in the history books when I was just a young boy and now I find out that he was born just ten miles from you. The old historical homes in your area are neat...so different from the ones we have down here in Texas. George, thanks for posting this story with the pictures, very enjoyable. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

This one has both and they are in the kitchen area. Each room has a fireplace in it also..... Major job, and these are all tall ceilings, like 8 foot........ Geo