Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Nanny and Pawpaw's Attic"

Sunny

When pennywt was talking about the strange door in the abandoned house, it triggered my memory to another secret door. This secret door was in my Nanny and Pawpaw Garrett

It was nice to read some things I never knew of. How neat. I can remember only a few times that I ventured into the attic. Usually, Nanny was on my heels within a few minutes, once she heard the old house creak with my weight, or a thump or two from my careless steps.

Pawpaw died in October of 1957. Nanny followed in (I think) May of 1966. They were good old people that loved us all and each other, very much. For all that they gave this generation, we have much to be thankful.

Johnboy

Remember Linda.....don't go up the ole steep, dark stairs. :look:

I remember the one instance of trying to see my [last remaining[ grandfather while he was in the hospital. He, did not remember me because of alzheimers so that turned into a very unpleasnat memory for me.

Manty thanks

calm seas

M

and his siblings alternated time keeping your grandma,you don't see that kind of commitment and people getting along to do something like that much anymore. my mothers parents had a place like that only small,outhouse,cellar,and old out buildings to wonder around in.

our parents raised us, and when it comes time to reverse the role, it was my privelege! Thanks David! :)

the smell of cabbage and fried pies. There was always something on Nanny's stove for you to eat. She did a lot of cooking in the morning when it was cool, and it was there for the taking all day long! :)

do to a person. It is my biggest fear! I did not have my grandparent's on either side very long, but I do have some great memories of the few years I had with them. My mother's parents lived in another town, and I remember riding the train with my mother once! Unfortunately, the train ride is about all I remember!:)

than I do. Write me a story. I feel I missed out on so much. I don't know why I remember Nanny as being cantankerous, you probably remember her in a different light. I would like to hear what you remember! ILY, :)

could make deep mysteries out of everyday things. Part of the journey to growing up.
What an interesting story! I wish i could remember that far back!
Not as many families look after their own anymore as much as they did when we were young, what a shame!

can stir up the biggest memories. Sounds like you and Pawpaw had a wonderful relationship. Remember the good ones and leave the badones behind! Thanks for sharing your famly with us.

Dave

It is a very interesting post and really well written Linda.

I wonder what ever happened to the stuff that was up there after your grandmother died. The little doll would be a treasure to you now days.

My grandma had a little nook off her bedroom that we were never allowed to enter. That made it spooky to us

things were split up. Gosh what I wouldn't give to have been able to go thru it as an adult. You know how much I like to pilpher around things like that. I'm sure there were a lot of Christmas decorations somewhere too, and the doll probably belonged to one of her daughters, but now they are all deceased, and there is no one that can answer any of those questions. It still lives on in my memory and I love that part, and the mystery will ever be solved. It may have been that she just didn't want a pesty little girl rummaging thru her things! :)

To-day it's the kids and grandkids. Whether we like it or not.:ranting: It's all good. Great story !

princess (2), and she is the sassiest thing I've ever seen! I love my boys, too! They are the only men in my life that think I'm perfect! :lol:

my memory sister. I do remember the bedrooms and especially the one with the feather mattress. I also remember the porch swing and how it was so massive. I've never seen another like it.

I don't remember Pawpaw at all , but I do remember Nanny living with us and remember Mary Thomas told me that she had passed on when I was 10 years old.

That attic was probably where the "money" was hidden that all the kids fought about. (No one ever owned up to finding any)

Thanks Sis,

Lil Brother:)

in the cupboard, and even found money in the linen closet between towels and wash cloths! It was sad the way all of those beautiful old antiques and the house itself had to be auctioned off for a fraction of what they were worth because of the greediness that came out between all her children!

That's why I think it is so important to take care of things in advance, have a will, that way, things are settled before one's death.
Call me, I know you are tired from your new job, but you will get used to it soon. Just don't make yourself get sick again. Take it day by day! ILY, :)