Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Mystery Ship" (short story)

Ron J

Today,as just about every Sunday morning,between 5 or 6 a.m., i head to Rowley,a small town about 25 minutes from Beverly. My destination is "Todd's Farm", a decent size flea market. Vendors from Maine,N.H.,and Ma.,sometimes Rhode Island are there. About 70% are "regulars",as is being there every week. You never know what you will find. I am personally looking for nautical items, or Coast Guard related items. Today,i mean this morning,around 6:30 a.m. while most normal people are still sleeping,i made a purchase,well probably a few by then. I came to a "new" vendor,selling a good assortment of everything. I spotted an older painting of a vessel. It had the letters/number combination of CG 82309. Hmmmm. This interpreted to me, Coast Guard 82 footer,serial #309. Interesting,but i don't collect paintings.Usually couldn't care less,or bother looking at it,BUT Coast Guard? I asked about it,history? and of course the "magic number",How Much??$$$ He replied its WWII,and its worth $100,but todays special,$50. Music to my ears,but not FIVE O ! WWII? No Way,i was thinking... The Coast Guard didn't mark their hulls with C G back then,only numbers. I offered him $40 for the painting. He asked his BOSS,(his wife)and he went on to an other customer. The BOSS hemmed & hawed a little,and said,okay!,but hurry while my other half is busy. I just paid,and walking off,a guy walking by me, stated, "Wow,1969 huh?" My suspicions were right,Not WWII,but Vietnam!! That made sense.I knew the Coasties were in Nam,covering the inlets,and rivers. I was pretty happy now,figuring i made a personal score for myself.:) Come to think of it,i was thrilled! Tonight i finally had time to check out the Coast Guard Historical site,to "run the numbers". I punched in "CG 82309" and up popped all the 82 footers,by sequence. Born in Curtis Bay,MD in 1961. At the time,the C.G. did not name patrol craft,shorter than 100 feet.In 1964,they were assigned names.This vessel is POINT ARDEN. She was assigned to Point Pleasant New Jersey,from 1961 to 1965,for law enforcement,and search and rescue. From July 1965 to Feb 1970,she was assigned to CG Squadron One,Division 12, VIETNAM! Now the sad part...... She was decommissioned 14 February 1970. She was "transfered" i mean handed over,to the South Vietnam Govt. as "Pham Ngoc Chau". Personally i think that sucks! :thumbdown: If i were a crewmember aboard her,serving,and was ordered to do that,i think a valve or two might have been left open.... Now if i could find out who the artist was,and if he were a crew menber? Rj[attachment 60865 portmarine033.jpg][attachment 60866 portmarine032.jpg][attachment 60867 portmarine031.jpg]

Here is a sister ship to the "Point Arden" in Vietnam colors, and what she would have looked like, if the U.S. had kept her.[attachment 60868 ScannedImage-19.jpg][attachment 60869 ScannedImage-20.jpg]

n/t

Say, we have flea markets down here but they do not open that early. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

the people who served on her anywhere in the Coast Guard data base? I'm thinking maybe one who served on her painted it from memory perhaps. I like old stuff like that with a story behind it. What are you looking for in nautical stuff n general?

George-Ct

it could have been a crew member. She was handed over to South Vietnam in 70,so who knows? I couldn't find crew members yet. May post on Military.com for info.Can't make out the artists signature. I am gonna ask Dick Levesque, from "old Coast Guard Photo's" website to inquire.He knows a lot of retired Coasties,and may have better luck. As for Nautical items,i have a few older oil burning lamps,a few stern masts,some flags,old galvanized or brass fog horns,life rings,a couple of brass/bronze props etc. I have oars coming out of my "ears". I hang the oars on my deck railing,and fence. I have quite a few postcards of Cape cod lighthouses,some Life Saving stations,and Coast guard Stations. My goal is to at least get a vintage postcard of every Cape cod Life Station,and Cape cod Coast Guard Station. I'm trying to put together a booklet,with a postcard, of each Station,my Father,was stationed at,during his Coastie career.I also want to visit each location,whether or not the buildings are there,and photo the sites,to put with the postcards.

You have quite a collection of marine goodies. I'll have to look around in some of my fathers stuff here. That old bus I mentioned the other day is still here. May be something in there you might be able to use. I have not been in it for along time. Not easy to go in there.

Ha, those oars, reminds of a place on Block Island called the Oar. It was a gin mill for the locals. I took a few oars out there myself. Not sure if
that is there anymore either. I have not been there since they rebuild Ballards in Old Harbor. I have some stories about that place. Great times out there and everyone would raft their boats together. Party time back then.

It certainly is well done, that much is evident. For forty bucks, I tend to think you did score a nice find there. It's not something that you see everyday and that alone makes it unique, at the very least. I really like that piece.....definitely a "keeper" !:thumbup:

n/t

to have a knack for finding things that remind you of your father. I personally love the painting!:)