Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mystery on the Merrimack River...America's First Lightship.. LV 1 ? Part 1

Ron J

For me, the interest in this Lightship, started last Summer, in August. One of my techs, knew of my interest of the Sea, The Coast Guard, and any thing related. He mentioned something about his mother telling about an article in the local newspaper,about a Coast Guard wreck, or what remained of a vessel, on the banks of the Merrimack River, in Groveland. He caught my interest, i gotta tell you!

In Groveland? What are you crazy?, i immediately thought! Get out of here! I well knew of the Merrimack River. It exits into the mouth of Newburyport harbor, maybe a good twenty minute ride by auto,from Groveland. Longer if by water,depending upon the 5 mph zones.

The Merrimack starts in New Hampshire,possibly as far as Nashua, easily 60 miles away. Passing into Massachusetts,through Lowell, Lawrence, Haverhill, West Newbury,Amesbury etc. all major industrial cities,tapping into her strong currents via dams,canals etc.for power sources,from the 1800's to the early to mid 1900's. Textile mills,Tannery's and the like,industry that has died out,leaving vast empty Mills, once full of immigrant workers. Most have been either torn down, or turned into condo's or other industrial use, after many neglected years.

Anyway,Groveland is quite away inland for a Lightship to end up! I asked Adam, if he could bring in the article, i was extremely interested in finding out more....this sounded a little impossible to me. The next day, sure enough, Adam brings me the Newspaper with the article! Wow, i have been through Groveland hundreds of times, just joy riding! Never been by boat though. Its only a twenty minute ride,up Rte 97, a nice rural town, best known to me, and others, growing up in the Sixties/Seventies, as having the Pines Speedway! A "must" visit every Saturday night for its Stock Car Races, on an oval track, in a rather large gravelpit type area. The East bank, being the hillside,with the wooden plank bleachers built into it. Ah,what memories this is bringing me!

But back to the Subject matter, The Wreck! Man o Man! When i saw the picture on the front page, i almost dropped. Never thought much about the industry or possible inland shipping along the Merrimack, could always "smell" or sense it, but never though about it before. Reading the article was exciting...how did this vessel, whats left of her, end up here, of all places? Is it LV 1 ? The Article is from the The Newburyport Daily News, Aug 7, 2007. It basically states that a 28 yr old, Graham Mckay, a 1997 graduate of Amesbury High, and current student at the University of Bristol England,studying marine archaeology, is using the study of this vessel for his thesis, to earn a Masters degree. Doesn't mention how he knew of the vessel, but i assume,he grew up in Amesbury,and may have motored in the Merrimack? His challenge is three some. Identifying the vessel,when did it come to the area,and when/how did it sink. I wanted to know the same,after reading the article! Stay tuned!! :D more to come....[attachment 80504 ScannedImage-44.jpg]

Count me in!

It sounds very interesting.

the timbers sticking up out of the water would have gotten someones interest before.looks like alot of muck has built up.

our rivers are covered by wrecks. I have dove the St Clare River many times and there are old wrecks all over the place. On a typical drift it is common to come upon a half dozen or more, some of interesting history and some long forgotten.

I have seen some that you could still enter but the current made it very dangerous.

Thanks Ron