Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mystery on the Merrimack / LV 1 Part TWO....

Ron J

The Article mentions the trees are the only thing you see at high tide. Its only visible at low tide. Hundreds of boaters pass it daily in the Summer, figuring there are probably records some where,recording the hulk. There isn't exactly... Since June, Graham and Victor of states Board of Underwater Archaeological Resources, have been taking various measurements of the remains.They are hoping to make a computerized 3D image of the vessel. They mention, the local's say the vessel was donated to the Groveland Sea Scouts in the Thirty's, or the Haverhill Sea Scouts,the next town over. Rumor has it,the vessel broke free from its mooring in Haverhill, during a flood in 1936. I wondered about that, because there is one issue, the Groveland Bridge! More about that later....

During there survey, they discovered the vessel has copper spikes instead of wooden spikes. Another indication of a government vessel,because of cost,even back then! The ship is constructed as a Schooner rig, which the LV 1's specs confirm.

During the following week,after reading this article, i kind of lost track, seeing how it was still Summer...Boating, Biking, Working..etc. One thing though, during the following weeks,i had visited the Coast Guard Heritage Museum, to eyeball my Fathers items on display.(i wrote of this awhile back) While there,i did mention to the curator on duty, about the article. He mentioned that Graham had visited a couple of weeks ago,himself, looking for info. I don't know if he got any. Like i said, it went on the back burner for me, until Thursday or Friday.

I looked in my files for the News Article,and reread it.I went to the Coast Guard Web site, and looked up the LV 1. Built in 1855 at Kittery Maine, for $30.000! Sailing schooner,white & live oak,copper & iron fastened,two masts, 103' length, 24 ft beam,275 gross tons. Propulsion: of course..Sails. rebuilt in 1860, Stationed between Nantucket,till 1892, South Carolina 1896,North Carolina till 1911,back to S.C. till 1922, then Savannah GA till 1930! Official Records state No.1 was assigned the identity "NANTUCKET". or "NANTUCKET LIGHT VESSEL". Over her duty, she broke her stations multiple times,drifting away.

At age 75, she was withdrawn from service.The records say she was towed to Haverhill Massachusetts, for Sea Scout use, later taken over by the Groveton Sea Scouts. They misspelled Groveland! Then states, moved to vicinity of Groveland (Again misspelled) bridge, over Merrimac River,carried downstream during the 1936 flood,going aground on the north bank, opposite the Henderson Farm.Stripped,and abandoned,hull still there as of 1986! Kind of proves it?

Here she is,stationed in North Carolina, marked "FRYING-PAN SHOALS".[attachment 80538 ScannedImage-53.jpg] Here she is as NANTUCKET.. [attachment 80535 ScannedImage-49.jpg]

Friday evening, i started plans to drive to Groveland to eyeball this vessel for myself,IF i could find it! Sat. Morning, off i went. Camera's with FRESH batteries,Binoculars,and boots. I know the area some,but with new development hogging every inch of water front property they can build on, its getting difficult to access the waters.

First i drove directly over the bridge to Haverhill, along the banks,to a large mariner filled with winterized toys. I scanned the river banks with binoculars,but to no avail. I drove the other way, walked a path for a few feet, again nothing. I drove to the Groveland side,again driving down dead end streets,named Ferry Way, Old Mill Road etc. with hope.

I saw one gentleman, shoveling snow, stopped and asked if he knew of the vessel,showed him the article too. He was surprised himself. I now drove towards the West Newbury line,next town over. Figured i would drive behind the high school i knew was close to the river.

As i drove near the school,right next to the parking lot,was FARM LANE. Hmmmm? I drove down, the sign saying dead end, of course it would be,ending at the river, i hoped. At the end was a circle, with an original to the area,1800's farmhouse. On the left was an old house,but this last century,1900's+. In the circle was an elderly gentleman, early to mid eighties if i were to guess, playing ball with his German Shepard.

I crept forward towards the old gent, didn't want to hit the dog,ya know! I rolled the window down with hope. I asked if he knew of the vessel,and before i could show him the article, he replied "Sure do! Used to play on her when i was a kid!" Hotdamn!! Jackpot! He then pointed across the river to the Haverhill side,and said "She's right about there!" Unfortunately near newer houses,hugging the bank. I asked where the Henderson Farm was, and he pointed a little south of the house's. I asked what he knew, and he told me about the Sea Scouts owning her, "and in 1936, during major flooding,and ICE, she was forced down river from Haverhill.

I asked "What about the Bridge?" He replied,"back then,there was a swing span bridge,and they watched as the vessel was being swept downriver by the ice cakes.The officials were starting to worry,and were making some hasty plans to blow it up with dynamite! " I replied "DYNAMITE? How would this happen?" He again stated "as it got closer, they decided to open the swing span, figuring the current was strongest between the span, maybe they could guide it, with luck. As she got closer with the ice pack, she slid through like a helmsman was at the wheel! She ended up on the bank,where she still lays,but there's not much left of her." I really couldn't believe my luck, stopping to ask this gentleman! I still can't believe it! I thanked him for the information!

From there i drove back to the Haverhill side, but was unable to find the remains, partially contributing to the tide rising too high by now. I plan on returning with a rowboat with outboard in the warmer weather. I don't dare chance it now, too cold,too dangerous,the current looked brutal! Ironically i took this photo last September of a rainbow,from the Groveland Bridge,i posted it back then, unknowing that LV 1, lies just about at the point sticking out on the left! [attachment 80539 AlanAmbrose60036.jpg] [attachment 80540 AlanAmbrose60047.jpg] This ends my adventure of today...till the weather turns anyway! Rj

enjoyed the story,funny how you can try to visualize things in your mind when someone is telling a story.i've seen some of the old mills you talked about being converted to living areas for seniors on the HGTV network.had a great uncle who ran off when he was about 15 and ended up working at fulton bag in atlanta,georgia,then on to new york to work in some textile mills there and maybe new england too.i like the looks of the old industrial buildings from the late 1800's and early 1900's.

man you should be able to sell that rainbow picture with the trees changing colors and the rainbow in the picture,i'm serious.

is often neglected. What i think of is the huge amount of hours of painstaking hand work that went into those ships!

n/t

left of it on a low tide.

Here is a little of her record.... or the entire link for all of them at http://www.the-best-light-houses.com/lightships_1.html

I wonder what the copper spikes might be worth to collectors on EBAY. Got to be some there after all this time.

George-CT

History of the Lightship "LV-1"
Also called the "Nantucket" or
the "Nantucket Light Vessel"
Light Vessel 1, otherwise know as LV-1, was built in 1855

BUILT AT: Kittery (ME)

APPROPRIATION: $30,000.00

SHIP BUILDER: Navy Yard

ACTUAL CONTRACT PRICE: $48,000.00

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood - white & live oak; copper & iron fastened; bowsprit; 2 masts; oval daymarks at both mastheads

SPECIFICATIONS:
- LENGTH: 103'0" (lbp)
- BEAM: 24'0"
- DRAFT: 12'6"
- TONNAGE: 228 displaced and 275 gross tons

- PROPULSION: Sail-schooner rig; fore and main carried on spencer masts

- ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each with 8 oil lamps & reflectors

- FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES and MODIFICATIONS - LV-1's EQUIPMENT CHANGES and IMPROVEMENTS:
1860: Rebuilt
1881: Main anchor replaced with mushroom (apparently one having a stock)
1883: Mooring methods evaluated by Lighthouse Board. All alternatives found unfeasible due to strong rotary currents in the area, and structure of ship unable to sustain additional chain loading
1886: Lighthouse Board authorized casting an "ordinary" (stockless) mushroom anchor. With this, station was maintained throughout winter
1892: Boiler, steam pump, steam windlass, 12" steam fog whistle installed
1895: LV-1 was rebuilt and then rebuilt again in 1902
1910: Submarine bell signal installed
1915: Steam fog signal replaced with oil engine, compressor, and air siren
1919: LV-1 was equipped with a radio which was discontinued in 1923
1925: Illuminant changed from oil to acetylene; light from fixed to flashing

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:Lightship LV 1
1856-1892: Nantucket New South Shoal (MA)
1892-1896: Martins Industry (SC)
1896-1911: Frying Pan Shoal (NC)
1911-1922: Martins industry (SC)
l922-193O: Savannah (GA)
(Prior to 1867 when No. 1 was assigned, official records identified this lighthsip as "Nantucket" or "Nantucket Light Vessel")

HISTORICAL NOTES FOR THE LIGHTSHIP LV-1:
1856: Jan, placed on Nantucket New South Shoal station-During heavy gales, parted chain and went adrift 12 times while on Nantucket station, being off station for periods up to 20 days before working back under sail or being towed. (records are incomplete during 1856-1865)
1883:Slipped chain and worked under sail to avoid foundering during storm
1887: Picked up crew of foundered British steamer CALEDONIA. Accommodated for 12 days until taken off by tender
1891: Lighthouse Board requested $70,000 appropriation for a "proper" lightship to be steam propelled and equipped with steam fog signal - approved in 1892
1892: Jun 14, relieved by LV 9, refitted and towed to Charleston (SC) by AZALEA
1892: Nov 14, placed on Martins Industry (SC) after transfer to Charleston
1894: Parted chain and adrift twice during hurricanes, boats and davits carried away both times
1896: Nov 11, placed on Frying Pan Shoal (NC)
1896-1907: broke adrift on 5 occasions during the period
1911: Placed on Martine Industry (SC) until station discontinued in 1922

MORE NOTES:
1915: Steam fog signal machinery replaced with oil engine and compressor; the reduced weight was reported to improve stability, buoyancy and handling
1922: Placed on Savannah (GA); withdrawn 1930

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1930

AGE AT RETIREMENT: 75

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION:
The Lightship, LV-1, was donated in 1930 and towed to Haverhill MA for Sea Scout use. It later was taken over by the Groveton MA Sea Scouts and moved to the vicinity of the Groveton Bridge over the Merrimac River. In 1936 a flood carried it downriver and it went aground on the north bank opposite of the Henderson Farm. It was stripped and abandoned but as of 1986 the hull still remained on the bank!

I have found more than one detecting spot by cornering old folk. They like to talk and most like to be helpful.

You dun good buddy:thumbup:

Old timers are a great way to gather information from the past. Some are very wise and remember every detail of their life.

Great story Ron.