Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My scoop is breaking!!:sadwalk:

wesbeach

The stainless steel scoop I bought last summer has started to break on me. I started hearing a cracking sound while digging Monday. It seems the weld is going and the steel bar seems to be cracking.

Can anyone recommend a good place to have the scoop welded back together in the Norfolk, VA area?

Wesbeach (Underdog)

n/t

Max recommended a good place to go and now my scoop is repaired and ready for another year of beach detecting!!

Wesbeach (Underdog)

There are welding shops in every city that can handle stainless steel welding. Look in the yellow pages under welding. Some facts about stainless steel that few people understand are:

1. Stainless steel is stronger than mild steel, but it has poor fatigue strength. This means if you continue to stress it in the same manner repeatedly (applying the same digging motions on it), it will eventually break where the stress is applied. In easier to understand terms, this means the weakest part will eventually break if you keep digging with it. This depends on the number of repetitions of the digging motion.

2. Stainless steel is much more corrosion resistant than mild steel, but it can corrode in lesser amounts. The corrosion is sometimes located in the edges of weld joints. It is a good idea to rinse off your scoop with a hose when you leave the salt water. This will remove salt that would otherwise sit embedded in crevices in the metal to continue a slow corrosion process while you wait for the next hunt.

3. There are different grades of stainless steel. each has different strength and corrosion properties. The common grades you see are 302, 304, and 308. The higher numbers are more expensive and usually last longer. There are also other more exotic grades and less exotic grades.

In order to keep from breaking your scoop in the same place as last time, you might ask the welding shop to add some gussets to strengthen the weak part that broke. When I do heliarc welding on common stainless steel, I usually use 308 welding rod in order to insure the weld material is better than the stainless steel parts I am welding.

J_P