Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MY SAFARI REVIEW

K7JSM

Well, the snow is falling in our area now so I thought I would take the time to post
my first impression of the new Safari metal detector.

After receiving this machine a couple of weeks ago, I found out that I live in a very
historical area and didn't even know it.

Three blocks away from where I live, there is an old mission building which was
originally built in the early 1800's. It only lasted another 20 ish years before it closed
for good. But around the mission, the early settlers used the area for fur trading
and early gold and silver mining. The very thing a relic detectorist wants is a place
where a lot of people have been in the past. Wasn't I surprised to find this area was
at my back door...

In doing some historical research, the only photos I can find of the mission area
shows it with hardly any pine trees around it. Now it is a thick forest with heavy
loaming ground which is easy to dig in. I imagine the original area bright with
sunshine and people setting up tent homes and primitive wood buildings. But
now it is forest dark and kind of spooky to be alone in.

When I first got the new Safari, I thought I had made a mistake. I took it out to
my back yard and heard tones which didn't make any sense to me at all. In reality,
I thought Minelab had shipped a bad machine. I was used to an older Whites single tone
machine which had a depth of 4-5" period. The Safari was squawking, squeaking
and pinging on a single hit and then I looked at my display and saw target id
numbers all over the map.

Well... After two weeks of detecting this area, I have found a ton of junk, but some
really cool finds.

[attachment 112348 PC090035.JPG]

Four mini balls at around 10-11" deep.

[attachment 112349 PC090036.JPG]

I found this tool yesterday and believe it to be a very old can opener. I am delighted
at the condition it is in. The blade is actually still sharp. Anyone know what this might
be for sure or what type of dating it might fall in?

[attachment 112350 PC090037.JPG]

A couple old buttons, one brass and one cast. And I believe the tapered thing is a pen
quill.

[attachment 112352 PC090040.JPG]

My detecting hit for the week was these three Catholic Medals. You will note that all of them
broke at the chain hasp. That must have been frustrating back then... Anyway, they are in french
and translate something like; O Mary Designed without Sin Prayer & For We who have appeal.
Interesting! One of them has an 1826 date on the bottom. It is only visible through a loop.

These Catholic Medals really excited me. This mission was only around for a short period
of time. And to find three of these is really fun. While swinging my detector, I could imagine children
running around and playing while the hasps broke, to be found again over a hundred and fifty years
later. I love this hobby!

I haven't seen a lot of posts yet on the Safari and figured some of you might want to know what
a real user thinks of it. I LOVE MY METAL DETECTOR! Now, how am I supposed to get through
winter?

Once you get the hang of what you're listening you'll be finding stuff galore. I wish you well on your Minelab journey my friend. Just hold tight to the reins as you are going for a ride!

Thanks Lonnie for your comments. I appreciate your encouragement. I know I don't have a clue
as to what the full potential of this machine is.

The one issue that is bothering me is that I haven't found a coin yet in the area I have been
searching as posted above. The medals found showed up as an ID 35 and I am using the cross
method of programming from coin/relic to all metal.

Anyway, thanks again and stay safe over the winter.

Remember as soon as you hear a little bit of a high tone in between all the junk ,stop and work it in a few differnt directions.
HH
Dennis 2

Hi Dennis. Thanks for your input. Quite often, I will sweep over what I expect to be iron as
I'm hearing an audio null but when I sweep off of it, there can be a 38 - 40 target id. By the
way, I'm usually using cross saving from coin/relic to all metal with -10 through -3 blocked.

Are you suggesting I have been walking away from coins? If so, I still don't understand
this detector. ugh. What I figured I needed to hear was a repeatable tone above iron
and some semblance of a target id which stays around a 12-38 id. The targets I have
walked away from are those that bounce all over the place along with the id bouncing
all over the place.

What's your take on this? Should I be digging it all for now?

Wow! Thanks for the heads up on the medals. Have you found these as well? Your link helped
us answer a bunch of questions about these. Well appreciated. Bravo!

Jeff , your doing fine . If there is allot of trash and you hear a iffy signal mixed in (targets very close together) , just stop and check it out ,
HH
Dennis 2

Thanks Dennis. I went out today really excited to play before our winter warning takes
place tomorrow night. Were expecting 1-2' of snow. Anyway, I found my second ring.
I wasn't sure it is a finger ring or not, so I took it to a jeweler in town today and he confirmed
it was a very cheap ring for someone who didn't have two nickels to rub together back then.

I also found another cast button, my first coin at this site; a 1914 wheat. Excellent condition
on one side and poor on the other. But my first coin in two weeks of detecting this site.
And a bullet which I don't have a clue as to the age. I am not a hunter or gun enthusiast,
so I don't know if this bullet is two weeks old or fifty years. But it seems to be the norm here.

[attachment 112492 PC110042.JPG]

Anyway, I'm going to try again in the morning and see if I can't find something else worth
digging up before snow flies here.

Thanks for all of the encouragement guys. I hope the help will be multiplied back to you
all times ten. :)

Looks like an old bullet to me Jeff but I am not a Civil War relics expert so I 'm sure someone will chime in or if not post it in relics forum