Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My rock..

Dan-MO

When I was 11 years old my parents bought a house with 80 acres not far from where we had previously lived. As a 11 year old boy I set about exploring the mostly wooded acreage with an eye for hunting.Deer, turkey ,rabbit,squirrel,quail-and the pursuit of them-was a top priority in my life at the time. They remained that way for a few more years until as a teenager I realized that girls were far more interesting - albeit much more dangerous game-than the other critters I had been pursuing to this point in my life.

One day on the far end of the property, I discovered a small exposed sandstone bluff hidden by brush . On the edge of the bluff was a natural depression in the rock perfectly shaped for sitting. When sitting there one was completely hidden from view by the thick brush surrounding it from the top side. A person or animal could walk within a yard of you and never know you were there. Looking out and down afforded one a magnificent panoramic view for miles. At the bottom of the valley was a small meadow with a small stream meandering thru it. In the spring the wild flowers would bloom and the view from what I came to know as my

Yes, you are correct, that secret rock will always be in your memory and heart. I know what you feel because I also had a secret spot up on the side of a hill facing west. I often think about that spot and may some day visit it again, but if not, I have the great memories of the time spent there. Thanks for sharing this story, it brought back some great memories. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

What a special place. I suppose we all have had our special places. Remember Butch writing of the waterfall? My family and I have a special place on Flatside Pinnacle, in the National Forest. As a child, it was the gravel pit. As a young adult it was a shere cliff hidden in the Winona woods.

Your father may sell the property, but no one can take your "rock" from you--ever. The memories are surely a blessing of God.

Thanks, so much, for sharing.

"Rock of ages, cleft for me, Let me hide myself in Thee..."

aj

that would change the essence of "my rock". I guess we all had similiar places, i know i did.
Thank you so much for that fine essay!

Everyone needs a secret hiding place sometimes, whether an earthly location or just in our minds. You were blessed with both. I don't think I could ever forget about a place like that either. They truly become "sacred ground". Many thanks for sharing this beautiful, personal story with us. It truly touched me reading it.

Rob

i can kind of picture it,a comforting place,i guess as we get older we would like to have that place be within,sometimes in another person,for others in God.

It is a very moving tribute. Thank you for the uplift!!

fair winds

M

"Rock" we all need. Thanks for sharing yours with us! Wonderful story Dan!

Dave

that I have not gone back there. Although I cannot reach it now from my old homeplace, I can reach it by a bordering highway. As I slowly walk up that old grown up driveway, I can recall everything about my growing up days there! It brings me peace of mind.

I have photos of my gravel pit, I think that I shared with you all on this very forum.

It is imperative that you make one more retreat to your rock, and take a photo. Although they are branded on our brain, it still helps others in the future to understand how these places effect our hearts, minds and souls.

I will continue to go the the gravel pit, until someone makes it impossible to do so. And you know the most interesting thing? The office I built for my business is only about two blocks away! It seems like everytime I go there, I find some little something that takes me back to my childhood days!

Thanks for sharing this beautiful story with us, and do try and get that photo! :) My best to you and your dad! :)

one of the BEST stories that you have ever written. I'm sure that we all have a place like "your rock". Mine was at a place that I call Lizard Point high above the water at Lake Winona here in Arkansas. I have contemplated life and all of it's problems there many many times.

Thanks for taking me back to "MY rock"

I sincerely hope that life is treating you well.

Lil Brother

big smiles, DAN

yes, I agree we all need a place like your "ROCK"

I have a place such as this that I have spilled my thoughts, wrote stories, poetry, lines of life from.....A young lady and I discovered it many years ago and for some reason or another I find myself sneeking back in there ---just, to be there.

Enjoyed, your rock very much

before it is sold I think I would take a Panorama picture from the rock. I would love to see it if it is not too personal for you. Love to see the arrowhead too.

Thanks for an interesting and as usual, well written post. We appreciate it