Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My old butt is a dragging tonight :D

Royal

I decided I would take Mary out to Marl Lake and let her carry the GPS and find my hides. I figured it would be a good way to teach her a few of the tricks to finding them.

It was a beautiful dad but a little windy and cool but perfect for geocasheing. No bugs and not much sweat.

I have seven cashes in the area. We got the the parking lot and I set up the GPS for the first in the string and gave it to Mary, explaining how to follow it. We were off.

She did just fine except when we were headed from 3 to 4. It was pretty marshy in the area and the trail was little used. I was following her and she was watching the GPS. Finally she asked where the trail was and I looked around. We had walked right off the thing and I had no clue where it was. It was my fault as I was not paying attention and where we were, you had to.

I knew where the lake was and told her to follow me. I knew where the trail should cut through and if we headed straight ahead we would eventually cut it. It was just a hell of a lot farther than I thought and it was a thick cedar swamp. We could walk it and stay dry but it was mighty thick.

I got the GPS from her and told her that there was no problem as the next cashe was only .34 miles away but we had to work our way to higher ground where the walking was easier. This is what is called bushwacking big time!

Finally we got out to the trail and I gave her the GPS and off we went. We found them all and she only had problems with one but I think the numbers were off and I got new numbers for the site.

I plugged the GPS into my puter and downloaded the track, which you can see in the picture. I checked the track and it totaled 6 miles on the button. It got to be rough hiking in the bushwack but a very enjoyable day for us.

[attachment 91558 Marltrack.jpg]

the lake for sure. I see the little cut offs there for pickups. I prefer the bushwacking to trails. I use trail to get in the general area and then break off into the woods, or cliff etc. Some just put out a bunch of them on little islands around these parts in the lakes I want to go get. As soon as my daughter gets back again from SC we are going to hit a bunch of them. I've been holding off on them so she could hunt them with me. Last time she and I hunted together was in SC in a big swamp area. Snakes all over the place.... We go them we we were paying serious attention to what was on of just off the trails there and we had walking sticks we would use to poke around the cache itself to move any snakes away. I got bit some kind of spider and ended up going to the hospital as I could not stop scratching and burning up. They gave me benadrill and said I just had a bad reaction and to carry it with me in pill form. I do now. Thats the second time thats happened with me and spiders. Yet, I sure do enjoy it....... I want to do the American runs on Dunkin Donut shop with her on the bikes....all are in the parking lots except the last one...... There are 8 dunkin Donut shops in a 5 mile radious....

Check this out Royal.... Might give ya a good idea for boat ramps, or bait shops up that way..... Even a day of park caching......

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ad340cce-5180-42d0-8e6d-4b4d4fa2754e

Wish I was closer, I'd be hunting yours also.......

Geo

There was a story in the newspaper a few weeks ago about this hobby...it is becoming very popular. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

i know i would enjoy a chance to do it though. Getting out like that is really good, keep on truckin buddy:thumbup: