Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My next to the last encounter with a Mountain Lion - had 5 all together!

Terry B

This particular day the boys were bugging me to get out and do a little panning and sluicing. My youngest son Bruce was enjoying a visit with his best buddy Scott, from Santa Cruz, CA. My next to the youngest son Donn, was hinting that we should drive up Yankee Hill road to the big seemingly dead-end gravelly wide area just past the Ham & Birney (gold rush era) mine. Five Mile creek is just a little fella up there, and empties into the South Fork of the Stanislaus about 2 miles downstream, right at the "Slim Pickens" claim. (only about a mile from the LDMA's Italian Bar camp.)

Well, they got their wish. We headed from Soulsbyville down to Sonora, on over to Columbia, and then up past Columbia Junior College to Yankee Hill Road. Several miles past where the pavement ended, we arrived at the big gravelly wide area. Scott and Donn decided to set up the sluice box right there next to the truck, and Bruce decided he would hoof it downstream a ways to up his chances for some color. I had spotted what looked like an old mining or logging road, and curiosity got the better of me. It terminated at the wide spot, so the only direction to go was to the left following along parallel to the creek.

Everything was fine until I noticed the tall spindly stems of the tallest weeds parting and swooping back together ahead of me. This is only about 100 feet from where I started following the road. I looked down at the creek, and sure enough, little Bruce is panning away right below me. I was thinking maybe the animal was the dog belonging to old Hugh Link, a friend and current owner of the Ham & Birney along with his son. But no, his dog was black and white. This animal blended in perfectly with the dry grass.

About this time, the animal stops, turns around facing me, and stands stock-still. It was right in front of a huge pine tree with a huge double trunk that had fallen across the creek and made a monster road block. I could see daylight under it to the old road on the other side, but it was awful dark in there just the same. Then all of a sudden it came into view. I was staring directly into the unblinking eyes of a good sized mountain lion about 20 feet away. My hackles came up on the back of my head instantly. My first thought was for the safety of the boys.

I could see little Bruce out of the corner of my eye about 50 feet directly downhill from me, still panning. Me and that lion just kept staring at each other. I said to Bruce in an even tone, "Bruce, listen carefully, and don't ask questions. Go quietly up to where Donn and Scott are, and tell them I want you boys to get into the truck and roll the windows up now. Being desperate, I grabbed a dead pine branch hanging down next to me and broke it off on the first yank. I took that dead branch and beat the living hell out of all grass, brush and tree branches like a wild man as I slowly backed up the way I had come.

The lion thankfully stayed put and allowed me to retreat without a battle. When I got back to the crossing, I walked swiftly to the truck and found three boys who had done exactly as I had instructed for a change. Looking back on the situation, I surmize that the lion was telling me "far enough, I have a cub or two under here". This wasn't the scariest lion confrontation I've had, but it did raise my hackles. :shocked: Oh, and the boys hadn't had time to find any color. I ruined it for them. Apparently the lion had come very close to us just to monitor our movements, and I caused it to retreat ahead of me to its den.

HH,

Terry B

you could'uv reached back and thrown a handful at that lion. :lol: Man, I would have needed some new britches after that :rofl: Good story!

We have cougars up here on a fairly regular basis. As Royal can tell you, our little jacks fear nothing and the last two cats that have been on the property, have been chased off by the dogs. One tried to get a foal a couple of years back.. That did not last for him. :)

fair winds

M

something in your voice had those boys doing what they were told.
That was a very rare occurance, happening on a den and a happy ending.

brother -in - law has seen them in colorado,wouldn't want to tangle with one,guess you need a long pole or branch to parry them away.interesting story terry.

with you! They probably could tell by the tone of your voice not to question you! Glad everything turned out okay! You protected your kids, and the mountain lion was ready to protect hers! Do you think she would have come after you if she did not have cubs?

Interesting story, Terry! I don't think I have seen you posting here before. If so, welcome to out little part of the world. Great people here for sure (when they behave themselves!!) :)

Have you posted your other encounters? Where do you live? :)

in a situation like that. I understand attacks by them are extremely rare but with young anything could happen.

Thanks for posting the story. Where do you live?

on your face when you realized it was a Mountain Lion. I must say that you were fortunate to make a hasty retreat from the area. I assume that you were sorta "gun shy" for the next few trips out looking for gold and kept an eye out for wild animals? I liked this story and wish you would post some more about your Mountain Lion encounters. Also, any bear stories? Thanks for posting this interesting and enjoyable Mountain Lion story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Surely you remember the one about the fellow on the crotch rocket tangling with a monster tumbleweed. And the one about the finger in the finger food, and the one about Old Mark Lynch the red faced & red eyed jolly prospector who always outwitted the Yuma cops while selling his gold on the sly. And the one about the tow from hell.

Respectfully,

Terry B

I grew up in Santa Cruz County CA and at 16, had my first encounter with lions in the Santa Cruz mountains. I won't be posting that story here any time soon though. I'm writing a manuscript for submission right now, and at the speed at which I'm writing, it'll be a couple of yrs before it gets submitted. That encounter was much more than just a run-in with a couple of lions.

It breaks into a whole new way of thinking about just what and how it all came down, and what really took place that night right in front of my unmoveable eyes and body. Sounds crazy, but it will all come out in print I hope. I have a little advantage what with My wife being a writer and having a well known agent & a couple of editors who work for big name publishers. Not much advantage, maybe just enough to squeek it through.

When this lion story I just posted took place about 11 yrs ago, I was living in Soulsbyville, CA about 7 miles east of Sonora. Lived there 9 yrs, and had a home with a view to kill for. The wife wanted to be up here near the grandkids, so here we are, been here over 3 & 1/2 yrs now. I'll post run-ins #2 & 3 next, since they are directly related and happened on the same 12 acres of land right after My lettuce career ended.

While we have mountain lions here,they are very rare and I have never got up-close and personal with one like you did! I enjoyed your story, and again welcome!

about the mountain lion. We don't have large cats native to Australia, but there have been reports of sightings of black and brown pumas in parts of rural Australia, and Gipsland, where I live is one area that has had a lot of these sightings. In fact, My dream was always to by chance see one, but they are very elusive. From what I understand, these cats were released into the bush from the Aussie airforce who used them as mascots, or escaped from circuses many years ago. There have been trees found with carcasses of sheep way up in the branches, so it can't be the goannas, or feral cats and dogs. I have come across black downy fur in the vicinity of lime kilns in the bush, and what appeared to be the paw prints of a large cat, and smaller one, possibly it's young. I was wondering, how dangerous can your lions be, and from your close encounters with them, have any of them ever tried confrontation with you? Just curious.
Angela:)