Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My new Silver u max

hlucero

Recently bought a new Tesoro Silver u max and really like it. However, I have read many forums where people rant and rave about Tesoro's great discrimination. Why will the discrimination not knock out aluminum pull tabs. They sound just like coins. Is my detector faulty? I'm very disappointed after doing all this research to buy Tesoro now I'm not so sure!

Will it discriminate out a nickel? Zinc penny?

tabman

Both of mine have discriminated tabs out just fine. At what point are you setting your discrimination?

First off, you do have a great detector. You need to do some air testing and find the point at which it will knock out a pull tab. If this does not agree with what your disc dial indicates, loosen the set screw and set the knob so that it does. On mine, pull tabs are knocked out just shy of zinc penny. This setting on mine will get all the pull tabs. No bear in mind that does not mean the detector will be silent when it hits some. You will hear pops and clicks as they may be partially discriminated. No big deal, just slow down the swing and pick the coins right out of the trash.

One more thing, when you have the pulltabs discriminated out, make sure you can still get a zinc penny.

By rereading your post, I don't believe you have your detector set up right. When you say it will not knock out tabs, where is your disc. set at?

First time poster...with a new machine. At one point everyone started there, and it looks like some excellent advice has been shared. Welcome to the hobby! Best of luck to ya.

LittleJohn

Quite possibly you need educate yourself by viewing charts that show what range of discrimination certain items fall into. To the best of my knowledge, most VFL detectors react the same. EG: old can lids show as 1/2 dollars on VDI's, gold & pull tabs share the same range, etc. Some show probability a little better than others BUT, it is still probability. Understanding your machine should be your first priority.
If you are new to metal detecting, don't expect treasures to pop out of the ground. I had the Silver. The only reason I do not have it now is due to the extremely hot ground we have here.

Funny tester day out at a park I turned up discriminate to max and would read pull tabs loud and clear. Today I did an air test and knocked out pull tabs right to the left of pull tabs and still read zinc penny's. Hmmm. Don't know . Been detecting since 1990 and owe two Garrett detectors.

hlucero said:
Funny tester day out at a park I turned up discriminate to max and would read pull tabs loud and clear. Today I did an air test and knocked out pull tabs right to the left of pull tabs and still read zinc penny's. Hmmm. Don't know . Been detecting since 1990 and owe two Garrett detectors.

My Outlaw would do that with tabs and some bent nails while the targets were still in the ground, but my Silver doesnt have that issue. I have a beaver tab pulltab buried in my test garden at 4 inches that rings up like a silver quarter with the Outlaw but the Silver will chop the signal quite a bit. My Xterra 705 thinks its a copper penny so its not just Tesoros that have this issue. I wonder if there is an internal adjustment that can be made?....

Everybody is just speculating. We need more info.

tabman

tabman said:
Everybody is just speculating. We need more info.

tabman

I agree how about doing a air test video showing us the dial movement were it keeps hitting a pulltab above the pulltab knockout setting that would help

I hate pull tabs like everyone else , but are they not similar in sound to gold rings and chains (small gold) ?? Pull tabs mean your in the neibourhood of the good stuff, or so I hav Been told

Now bobby pins ........ My compadre Id's them great and have not dug any :clapping:

I've never had problems discriminating out pulltabs with the Tesoro's I own. I do know that they can discriminate out a little higher or lower depending on the different shapes and size. Old rusted bent nails can sometimes fool you and sound good especially when your digging "iffy" type signals. Seems to me as long as you have all your settings like ground balance etc. set correctly, no bad emi and nothing in the hole with the tab reading higher you should be able to cancel it out?

If I have my disc set just under zinc I'll still get some tabs, can't remember ever digging one when I was just cherry picking for copper pennies, dimes and quarters unless it happened to be in the same hole or found it with pin pointer when I was rechecking the hole.