Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My new F2.....

beebiz

As you read this, please keep in mind that my F2 is the very first detector that I have ever owned or used. I am still trying to learn the "language" that it speaks to me. And, I'm sure that the more I use it the better I will get with it!

I've not been able to get out and use the F2 that much. But, this past Wednesday (12/26) my brother and I got out and hunted the better part of the day. I used my F2 and he used his Whites MXT. Bear in mind that not only am I brand new to metal detecting, but because of my physical problems I am unable to hunt long without having to sit a while. Anyway, he found a old, silver, lady's wedding band, a costume bracelet, and about $7 in clad. On the other hand, I only foud $1.54 in clad. But, it was the most productive and enjoyable hunt that I've had so far! And, I learned some things about my machine and got some good tips from my brother!

I've had my F2 about 1 1/2 weeks now. As I said before, I've not had a chance to use it a whole lot. But, in that time I have found 6 quarters, 6 dimes, 5 nickels, and 9 pennies (all clad) for a total of $2.44 and enough trash to figure out that humans are hardcore litterbugs!!!!!!!!!!

Some positive things that I learned about my machine:

1. My brother and I could hunt side by side without either machine causing the other one any problems. I thought that great since we had such a good time hunting together and plan more hunts together in the future!

2. The F2 is extremely light weight and allows me to swing it much, much longer than I could if I were using a heavier machine like my brother's MXT.

3. The F2 has very fast target recovery. It can easily pick out multiple targets within just inches of each other.

4. I found both the notch and discrimination functions very easy to learn to use.

5. The VDI numbers are huge! I can easily read them without my glasses!

6. With the VDI numbers, it is very easy to determine between a nickel and a newer pull tab. Pull tabs did not always hit 34 and hold it, but they always at least bounced to 34. Nickels never did this! 33 was the highest they read. I dug many pull tabs to ensure that this information was correct.

7. The F2's 4 tones are wonderful! And, it is extremely easy to tell them apart. Being kind of hard of hearing, I purchased the Calrad 8 ohm head phones when I bought the F2. They made discerning between the tones just that much easier.

8. The locking rings on the F2 are wonderful. They make it so the rods are good and tight... there is no slop or play at all.

Now, for some less than positive things I learned about the F2:

1. The lack of a locking ring or nut where the coax from the coil plugs into the unit sucks!! And, this is my chief and major complaint!! As my brother and I hit an area with lots of trash, we began finding quarters. After digging about 4 of them, I had to sit and rest for a while. When I resumed hunting, I noticed that I wasn't getting any signals at all. I thought this odd, so I turned it off and back on again. I notched out the iron and foil, checked the battery meter and began hunting again. I went several yards with only a couple of minor beeps. Again, I thought this odd. So, I pulled a quarter from my pocket, waved it over the coil and the machine was as quiet as a church mouse! Further investigation revealed that the coax had come partly unpluged. Of course, when I pluged it back in the problem was fixed. But, I don't like how easily it worked its way lose enough to become a problem.

2. I don't know if this complaint is specific to the F2 or if it is common to most all detectors. When pinpointing a coin (for example a dime) I tried to pinpoint it as closely as I could before I pressed the pinpoint button. When I press the pinpoint button, the machine goes into all metal mode, of course. By doing so, if there was a tab, metal screw, or any other junk item within an inch or two of the coin and the junk item was shallower than the coin, it would pinpoint the junk item and not the coin. Is this a problem with my machine, F2's, metal detectors in general, or is it just that I haven't learned my machine well enough to "understand" what it is trying to tell me??

3. While the "on the fly" depth indicator seemed rather acurate, the depth indicator in the pinpoint mode wasn't as acurate. Several times coins were found one to three inches deeper than what the pinpoint depth said.

I really wish that when I press the pinpoint button that the machine would only pinpoint the targets that are notched in. But, it doesn't. That may be an option that is only available on machines costing many times more than mine did. If that is the case, I will just have to live with mine for now!!!

Other than that and the items I've mentioned above, It is my humble opinion that the F2 with its extra coil and lower rod was well worth the $199 that I gave for it. If I had it to do all over again.... with the knowledge that I have right now.... I wouldn't hesitate one second about buying it agian!!

Here is a pic of all of the clad that I have found so far with the F2. But first, one more piece of information. An older gentleman toald me that it was safe to use a bit of toilet bowl cleaner in some water to clean clad coins. So, that's what I did. DON'T DO IT!!! On most of the coins, it took some of the coating off. But, on many of them, it stripped them as though I had dropped them into acid!! Now, I don't know if the bank will take them or not. But, I will try!

finds1.jpg

I hope this has helped someone else,

Robert

Hi all,
As Beebiz said we did have a "GOOD" day hunting :twodetecting:and I got to see what it was like when I was a noobie (digging alot of Trash) :laugh:just starting out in the hoby. By the way I still dig alot of trash, don't want to miss those rings.:clapping: I was impressed with the F2 it's very light weight and a person could hunt all day with it. I think it would make a good back up detector if you already have another detector or it would be just fine for a first machine if you are just starting out and I think you will do well with it once you learn the machine.
Thanks for going with me Beebiz, I had a good time.:clapping:
HH, Dave

Toilet bowl cleaner is usually a mild solution of sulfuric acid or battery acid.

If you have to clean coins, place them in olive oil a few days and just rinse them off.

Thanks for your F2 report....

Rob in Tennessee

There is not a machine available that will only pinpoint the notched in targets. When you switch to all metal pinpoint that is exactly what you get - all metal. That is one reason why people buy the hand held target probes. With the exception of the Sun Ray in-line probes, the hand held probes will also sound off on anything metal, but you can isolate the targets better and locate them quickly. Don't feel bad that the pinpoint mode is doing what you described. They all do it.

As for the coil connector, you might try putting a velcro strap on the upper rod as close to the connector as you can. This might provide enough tension on the cable to keep the connector from working loose.

From my back yard tests on the F2 it seems to really like nickels and gold but I couldn't get a steady reliable ID on wheat pennies or silver coins at 4" and deeper. I buried a wheat at 4" in my mild soil and the F2 ID said it was a zinc from one direction and bounced around in the tab range from 90 degrees off. On a silver dime at 5" it would only ID it as a dime about 1 out of 10 swings with the other 9 being anything from iron to tab. My Ace 250 properly ID's both coins every time from any direction.
I buried my 14k white gold wedding band at 4" and the F2 gave a very solid repeatable "nickel" and 30-33 ID from any direction while the Ace 250 bounced around all over the nickel and tab range, a little different on each swing. Also the F2 is amazing at rejecting iron. With the first "iron" tab disc'd out, it just wont respond to iron at all even when rubbing the coil on a pile of bolts and nuts or a lawnmower blade. The Ace 250 discs out the small iron but it will still sound off on the big stuff and large rusty nails.
In my soil the F2 is fine for coins from surface to 3.5" but the ID starts to get unrelable at 4" but it seems to really lock onto nickels and gold a little deeper. The Ace 250 is right on with it's coin ID down to 5" but is unreliable on the gold ring.
Neither machine would ID a silver dime buried at 6". The F2 called it iron 05-06 when it could pick it up at all and the Ace jumped around from iron to quarter with no two swings alike.

Keep in mind that freshly buried coins are hard for any machine compared to coins that have been in the ground for a while but to me it looks like the Ace is the better coin shooter. I still plan to take the F2 to the park for some "real world" tests soon.

Try PPing without using the button. Slow the coil down to a creep. Then x the target. You'll be amazed at the accuracy.