Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My new but slightly used detector

relic-hunter

I just bought a slightly used whites 4900 dl pro from a guy on craigslist. I looked at it, it looks like it was used about 6 times. It looks like new. It's got more knobs and settings than my garrett GTAX 550. I need to read the owners manual which came in the original box. I figure for $75 I couldn't go too wrong. So whats the verdict? Good deal? Or is it a piece of junk? I figure Whites is a better brand than garrett even though it is an older model.

Ken

To be fair it's just a different animal than the 550. The main difference is one is a notch machine and the other one not. I would suggest down loading the manual from the White's site. Start out hunting in the presets and see what happens. At $75.00 you can't go wrong.

Yeah, it has lots of knobs compared to the knobless garrett. The guy had and gave me the original owners/operators manual and the original box that it came in. I just took it out to the back yard and messed around with it a bit and found a buried cake pan about 10 inches down and a tent stake about the same distance. I was only out there for about 15 minutes. I know it will take a while to get used to the new style, but from what I have read they seem like they are better. Does anyone still make that type of detector or have they all gone digital now?. But like you said for $75 I couldn't go too wrong.

Ken

No, they haven't all gone digital. The MXT has knobs, has an LCD screen, but it still uses knobs and is one of the deepest detectors (IMHO) of the Whites lineup.

Well, the knobs make adjusting it more difficult than the 550, which is pretty much a turn on and go swinging. Well I breezed through the manual and thought I understood it all, I was wrong. I came home today from the beach a little disappointed, but re-read the manual and now seem to understand it a bit more.So next time out should be a better day.

Ken