Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Mothers "Special" Salmon.......... or a kid learns to listen :yo: ..........................

Wayne in BC

When OJ asked me about living in North Vancouver as a little kid it brought back some interesting memories.
My father was in Korea at the time so my mother was making do with very little money and two mouths to feed. A soldiers pay in the fifties barely provided even the necessities of life but as a 5 year old kid i knew nothing of this at the time. I remember being quite happy and only a great many years later did i understand what it took for mother to cope.

The only thing i remember knowing for sure was that i desperately wanted to fish! Why i do not know but it was a fixation with me and thinking back as hard i may, no early memory explains it.

It was very tough for my Mom, she had to watch me from the time i started walking as i would head for the nearest water. She would provide me with the obligatory piece of string and a bent pin. Now even at the tender age of 5 i knew that a "real" hook had to be better but having lodged one in my hand once and causing mother to do some nasty home surgery did not dissuade me although it prompted mother to ban barbed hooks for her little fish fanatic:lol:

I believe i may have posted part of this story before but please indulge me repeating myself as it is part of a more interesting escapade that i got into.

One day while i was sitting on the bank of Mosquito creek and trying to wind a yard or so of nightcrawlers onto my bent safety pin in order to tempt one of the literal hordes of rainbow trout below me that could not possibly open their little mouths wide enough to get past the great wad of worms and near my hook, i heard something like a "harummphh". Kinda like the old "Major Hoople" of comic strip fame:biggrin:

I looked up to see a giant standing over me! He was all brown serge with huge shiny brown boots, an equally huge belt from which hung a shiny black holster with a fancy lanyard on it. All this was topped off with the "Mounties" famous hat......and underneath that hat was a wonderful "daddy" "uncle" "grampa" kind of face with a good humored grin on it, and that of course was what kept me from breaking into tears and confessing every little old sin my young brain could recall:unsure: You see, that crick was posted no fishing! I had been told by the other kids that the cops would not bother kids, but now i was wondering, even tho he seemed quite friendly as he said.....

Whatcha doin sonny?.....um, fishing sir.
Catching any?.....No Sir!
Let me see your pole,.....hmmmmm, what is this, this is not a proper hook, you will have trouble getting a fish with this and you have way too much bait on it.
I said nothing and he stood up and to my surprise, because i was expecting to be in trouble, held out his hand and said kindly, come with me and we will get you some hooks. The little Chinese corner store was only a block away, and off i went went hand in hand with this giant RCMP.

In those days a couple pennies bought you about a dozen fishhooks and i was soon not only the proud and happy owner of said hooks but also in possession of about 15 ft of real "catgut" fishing line! Back down to the creek we went and he set up my line properly, showing me how to bait it. I do remember catching several big trout (likely 5-6 inches) and after a bit he said come along and i will walk you home.

Of course he never occured to her proud and happy son just what his mother would think about him coming home in the presence of a policeman!

The rest of the story comes from my dear mother as i do not remember this part....She told the story many times in later years of how shocked and embarrassed she was as the Mountie explained that he had bought me some hooks and line. As she put it, all she could think about was how he must have thought she was a bad and cheapskate mother who would not spend a penny for her child! I am not sure if she explained further:shrug:.....poor mother!

Well the next part of the story involves the other of the two creeks that we lived between, i am sure it was McCaulley creek although i am not sure of the spelling. It was a much larger stream and had a large Salmon run and a native reserve on it.

One day i was walking near this larger stream and to my shock i saw huge fish! Everywhere they were, jumping out of the water or just finning quietly right in front of me! I had not seen such a thing as this, being used to tiny trout that one must sneak up on lest they scatter and disappear, never had i seen a run of spawning Salmon. To my increasing astonishment, they came in colors! Some being bright silver blue, while others, wow! they were bright red!

As i stood there, my young eyes taking in these wonders, a voice said....hi kid! And i turned to see what i later learned was a young native man, i had no idea in those days who was what or which, (too bad the world intruded in later years) and said Hi, back to him. He said, do you like fish? and i guess the big smile on my little face was answer enough when he followed it with.....which one do you want? Without hesitating i pointed immediatly to a bright red spawning male Salmon and just as quick he said.....nah kid you don't want that one! I nodded and said yes, he tried again and again to talk me out of it but finally shrugged his shoulders, grabbed his "jighook" and a moment later my prize was flopping on the ground with me on top of it and holding on tightly to the slimey, weakly struggling creature! That fish was barely alive and already starting to rot, a big hump on his back, lower jaw heavily "kyped" with jagged teeth protruding and to me he was beautiful and a real trophy!

Thanking my benefactor and slinging the heavy mess over my shoulder i struggled proudly home to what i was sure would be a happy and impressed mother! The native guy said, if your Mom don't want that fish then i will get you a "good" one......Mom was not in the house and maybe at a neighbors so i plunked the critter in the kitchen sink then ran and found Mom in the garden, all the time babbling happily about my monster fish.

I will never forget my Mothers face when she saw my prize! She let out a loud squawk! Then said, where did you get that thing!? Shocked that Mom was not excited about my triumph, i told her the story and she calmed down some but said i should take the fish back and if i could get a Silver one, well that would be good. I was kinda pouting cause i figured a fish that nice and red should be real good but packed the critter back down the lane heading for the creek. I did not get far and encountered a "telephone man" in the lane. I tried to sell him the fish for a nickel and he was still laughing when i was a few houses down:lol:

The native fella also laughed when i showed up but he promptly jigged me a nice Silver fresh run Salmon, he was was still chuckling when i headed back home.:biggrin: Mom was pleased with the new fish and i learned some strange things that day, the biggest was for sure that fish came much larger than my world had imagined and i am still chasing them!
Hope you enjoyed the fishing trip, my thanks also to Fred Kelley, Royal, and Sunny for motivating me!:thumbup:

waking some in me. I also was a fishing nut. That is all I could think of when I was a kid and frankly is one of the reasons I was such a poor student in school.

I too tried fishing with a safty pin. Don't work worth a dang but I had to learn that. Made sense at the time. I can still rememeber my first rainbow trout. Small little planted thing but I still rememeber the colors. I was fishing the Clinton River, not far from where I caught that rattle snake that got me in trouble with Mom and the cops. :D

I didn't have a father around much either. He was either working, up at the firehall or dead. I had to learn most everything on my own. I figure that is a good teacher though.

For years I fished from ice out to freeze up. I used to ice fish but never really liked it.

I just loved to take my fly rod and get into a bunch of spawning Gills. Many times I could get a hundred on a hunderd and twenty casts or so. Pull the popper out of their mouths some times.

Thanks Wayne for waking up these memories.

I always thought they were only red colored. About the only other thing that I know is that bears like to eat them...bears are always shown eating them in pictures in magazines or in movies.

Canadian Night Crawlers worms are sold down here...some of the best fish bait available. Not having Rainbow Trout in this area, we use them to catch brem and catfish.

You folks have some exciting things up there in Canada...bears, Salmon, gold nuggets and many great outdoor things to do. I have always looked forward to reading your stories. Thanks for sharing this story, really enjoyed reading it. Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

until they start their spawning run. As they go farther and farther up the river and over the falls they quit eating and really start dying. Their skin turns read and the jay on the male, I think it is the male, starts to hook and they get pretty horrible looking. I understand the flesh starts rotting too and by the time they get to the spawning grounds, they are about dead.

They die soon after spawning and their rotting bodys then turn into food for the emerging fry.

Wayne can certainly tell us more and correct anything I have got wrong

You and I could have fit into the same pair of pants Wayne. I grew up next to the West river in southern VT. There used to be an Atlantic salmon run and I can remember going with my great grandfather out in the shallows where he could fish in the deeper holes. Since then, flood control dams have put a damper on them but they still show up at the fish ladder in Bellows Falls. Thanks for sharing your memories and renewing mine!

Dave

saved you some trouble:biggrin:,but he gave you what you wanted.sounds like with your dad away you became more independant,did it carry through as you grew older?

spawn and pacific Salmon always die after spawning.
I appreciate your kind comments.
Wayne

contribution to this sometimes complicated old world Art.
Most of us have that little fisherman living in our youth:biggrin:
I sure like hearing how so many of us, even many thousands of miles apart, had such similiar experiences growing up. Its a good thing:thumbup:
Wayne

wished i still could use the old flyrod.
Lots of us turned out ok despite a tough starthuh?:biggrin:

good memories Wayne. I'll bet that salmon was a monster, especially when you're that little!

I still remember my Daddy bragging to all his friends when one day he took me fishing and I caught 14 big Bluegill as fast as I could on a cane pole. I was so little, I just took off running when I got a bite and kept running until the fish was on the bank.

I also remember putting gasoline in the vat of minnows, but that's another story!:lol:

Lil Brother:)

Now that is a great story. I can remember when I was younger, we used to go down to Millards creek [If you ever go to Courtenay, you will pass over it], and fish. Those were trout that we caught. To get there, we would walk down the railroad tracks [all the while balancing on the rail itself...... the person who could walk the furthest was the winner].

Once there, we would clamber [slip?] down a very muddy bank and settle down for some fishing. Trout were the only thing that we would catch, but my mother would always appreciate them; it helped with the family budget.

Calm seas, fair winds

M

Trout used to be my "holy grail", now i am living a few hundred yards from a troutstream and never seem to get there:shrug:
I have to get over there cause that pond i built needs a few rainbow. Bro in law wants to raise some up so he can catch breakfast on the patio! No kidding! He says he won't get attached to them, i just said OK......and kept grinning at him:biggrin:
Wayner

our mothers, for sure, did without a lot of things for us kids! We never knew how much, until we grew up. They always had their dignity, though, and it sounds like your mother and mine would have been good friends! Gosh, how I miss her!

I could picture, five years old with your safety pin hook. That was such a nice thing the mountie did for you! I'm sure he got a kick out of it to, and in no way meant any dis respect for your mother!

Maybe someday, we can all go on a fishing trip. Arkansas has some really good fishing spots, as I am sure your country does! I cannot find ANYONE to go with me. Scott does not much care for it, and he goes only if the weather is warm.

Lil Brother and I talked about going today, last week, but it got windy and I think he opted to go hunting with Arkie.

I have heard that the crappie are spawning, and people are catching their limit should they find a spot where they are. I may just go by myself if I have to. Maybe tomorrow will be a nice day...........I'll let you know.

It was good hearing a story from you again! C'mon, keep it up! :)

about the goldfish, and ice fishing! That was hysterical! You ought to share it here on the forum! :)

n/t