Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Hunting Grounds:detecting:

Cupajo

[attachment 143106 Todaysringfinds9-14-9067.jpg]

Sunrise a couple of days ago starting my day in my favorite way!!

[attachment 143107 Todaysringfinds9-14-9066.jpg]

The stone in the water is a boulder that is the focal point of Old Colony Beach in Old Lyme, CT.

It is my tide guage and as shown the tide is about an hour from dead low, but when winter winds and tides start the water gets low enough to walk completely around it with chest high waders on.

Hundreds of people have climbed up on the stone at high tide and youngsters have tested their swimming skills by swimming the hundred feet or so out to the thing.

My oldest find was an 18K men's wedding band with the date 1873 inscribed in it about 50 feet away from the stone!

[attachment 143108 Todaysringfinds9-14-9088.jpg]

This view is of the entire beach from the end away from the stone and encludes my entire hunting ground of aboutr a 1/2 mile of beach.

CJ

I was unable to finish my essay in the alloted time so now i'll see if I can add to it.

[attachment 143111 Todaysringfinds9-14-9104.jpg]

These photos show the position of the stone off the beach.

[attachment 143112 Todaysringfinds9-14-9106.jpg]

At high tide almost a foot of the stone is normally visible, but due to a storm off shore pushing water into Long Island Sound the stone is bearly visible!

[attachment 143113 Todaysringfinds9-14-9081.jpg]

I tried to capture the image of Plum Island and the Infamous? Government Test Facility across the Sound, but there was too much haze.

The water is very calm on this day, but can become too rough to hunt in a short time!

Thanks for looking!

CJ

n/t

Thanks Mikie,

After nearly 40 years of living here I don't think I would ever be as happy anywhere else!

CJ

Really pretty place there, no big waves or steady large ones. The bottom heres is shifting all the time sanded up and then hard as a rock this year. It will take a good strom to clear it up here. spend more time in the bay now then on the Gulf side.

The pictures are of the water at its best.

This AM it was jumping out there and no way to hunt today.

The area above the water gets heavy hunting and after "the season" I have been lucky to find 15 cents in an hour hunt there.

Thanks for your reply,

CJ

It is sad that the cold, winter weather will curtail your hunting to a certain degree. Are there lots of those big stones out there? Thanks for sharing with the Forum. Kelley (Texas) :)

Hi Fred,

I haven't hunted other beach areas, but as far as I can find out this boulder is the only one so close to a swimming beach.

It has been a land?mark for all the years this beach has been frequented.

I'm fairly certain it's granite.

Regards Friend,

CJ

pick your area and work it thoroughly! You picked a gorgeous place CJ and impressive finds!:thumbup:

Every gold ring I have found at a beach has been found here and at two other small near-by beaches Wayne.

These beaches have produced rings dating back into the 1800's and there are many more to find I'm sure.

My last four hunts totalling 13 or 14 hours have only produced one junk ring and a few clad coins, but as the winter weather moves the sand around more goodies will be exposed.

No-one gets them all, but I'm workin on it!!:biggrin:

CJ