Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Guardian Bell

Kelley I am not much good at story telling but here ya go.

My father, who used to take me for rides on his bike when I was a little guy had his bell tied on the bottom frame of his Harley with a little strip of leather, when I asked about it he told me my uncle who was a road captain with a motorcycle club gave him his to keep evil spirits from hitching rides.

So on the day I got my first bike I came home and my father was sitting in the driveway of our house cleaning his bike and told me to go into the garage and get him a towel to finish wiping it down, and there sat a 1983 wide glide(I love the old ones). After running a few laps around the house and yelling like it was the end of the world for another half hour:biggrin: My dad tells me to pack some clothes we are going to Daytona for bike week, all this about 3 weeks before I leave for boot camp. To this point me and my father had never been really close not in the sense that we hated each other, but he was a military man for 32 years and was not big on showing what he felt, it just kind of went without saying.

About 1 hour into the trip we stop to eat at this small restaurant, we pull up, park and when I put down the side stand I hear something ring and there is a small bell tied to the frame with a small strip of leather. I looked back at my dad who just smiles and says you can never be to careful. The trip brought me and my dad very close, we spent 2 weeks just us and I found out a lot about him that I never knew.

My father no longer rides as his health will not permit and although this may sound stupid, every time I hear that bell ring when I take a ride I think about that trip and how close it brought me and my father, so it holds more meaning to me than just keeping me safe from road gremlins.

He sold his bike and gave me the bell he had on it, I wear it tied to my body armor now with a small strip of leather, I guess you can never be to careful:).

Your story about your father giving you a Guardian Bell many, many years ago was fascinating to read. I kinda think that what made your story so special was that you told about bonding with your father and the special relationship that you two now have...very enjoyable and well written. Thanks for sharing with the Forum, I really liked your story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I had a mighty poor relationship with my father, he died when I was 12. We might have developed a better relationship if he had lived, I don't know.

You had a wonderful two weeks with your dad and it extended to a lifetime of good memroies. I envy you.

Thanks for joining us here. I have never seen an argument or anything nasty on this forum in all the years it has been here. It just ain't that kind of place and we welcome you to join any time you wish:thumbup:

Thanks for the 'very fine' contribution!!! The story is a very special story to me. I can only imagine the way you must have felt, just before going into boot camp. That memory has helped you through many, many miles. I suppose it is among the most important gifts your father has ever given you and I want to thank you for sharing such a personal story.

I don't have a guaridan bell. I don't ride anymore. But I do have a Guardian...and He is forever.

Psalms 34:7

aj

PS Let's hear some more from you. Nobody writes fancy here---just from the heart.

Where are you on duty? I've been with the VT State Police in Support Services for 27 years.

Dave

VT I'm a U.S. Marshal now but I was a Jacksonville Sheriff's Officer for almost 8 years. Thanks for all the kind words everyone, funny this is the first time I've really told anyone, I usually just tell people my dad gave it to me and what its for.

n/t

good to get the story out, therapeutic sorta i think. I sure enjoyed it and memories came rolling in.....thank you!:)

Lawman, to the best forum on the net if you are looking for good friends that like to tell a story and listen to others! Come on back! :)

Silver Star great story,my dad never was not much for words.He died a couple of years ago and I never realise how great he was until he was gone.My mother has Alzheimer's and he hid this for years calling regular giving the telephone to her saying she wanted to talk and made sure he called on birthdays.After his death no more calls or cards.But like most dads he was there when needed.The other day at work a guy came into my office while I was eating lunch one of the younger worker's asked "Ron when are you going to retire you have over thirty five years here."My answer " did you know my dad worked here and he use to come over to see how I was doing and buy me lunch,I miss that."