Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Grandmother's eyeglasses.................

Kelley (Texas)

Hot outside, no bugs to be found for doing a macro photo, got tired of teasing Debbie, dog sleeping on the forbidden couch, so I decided to investigate a few boxes of old things that have been in the family forever!

I came across these old eyeglasses that belonged to my Grandmother Gross. Grandmother Gross was a special lady to me when I was a young boy. She always supported my love of horses...knitted a bed spread with a horse on it for my birthday one year, gave me a photo of three Kentucky Derby winners for Christmas when I was eight years old. I still have the photo and it is hanging on the wall beside my computer...I will always treasure it.

I remember the time that she saved my hide when my Grandfather and Father were about to inflict great pain on my bottom for a joke that I had played on them. They were up on a ladder, tearing down the old hay barn when I yelled "snake." It is common to find a snake or two living in the hay stored in a barn. Both my Grandfather and Father were on the same ladder, with Grandfather at the top of the ladder. Grandfather was deathly afraid of snakes, so when I yelled "snake" he instantly started down the ladder, stepping on my Father's hands and almost knocking my Father off the ladder. I felt instant terror...I did not expect this type of reaction and knew I was in some big trouble. In a flash, I headed for the house, terrified thinking about what fate awaited me when they caught me. Thank goodness, Grandmother was on the back porch, laughing her head off at the antics displayed by my Grandfather and Father. She told them that I was just a boy, doing what boys do at times. Grandfather finally settled down and had a good laugh...my Father laughed too, but he gave me that "wait until later" look as he looked at his swollen hands. Naturally, I played the act and told them how sorry that I was for doing it, but inside, I was laughing to my heart's content, it was kinda funny watching them come down that ladder. A few weeks later, it was pay back time when my Father gave me a few extra licks on my bottom as punishment for putting a dead fish in Mr. Snyder's mail box when they were on vacation.

I was born at my Grandparent's house, and Grandmother Gross helped the doctor to deliver me. She always referred to the room that I was born in as "Freddy's room." I loved my Grandmother dearly, and still remember the day that she got ill and was taken to the hospital. Down deep inside me, I knew she would not be coming home! There is a special place in my heart that is devoted to her, I really loved her! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

such fond memories. They are all there in the head but something you think is long forgotten is awakened by a pair of glasses. I bet those glasses will trigger many more forgotten memories too.

The story's on this forum trigger many for me. Thanks!

might have had some hellion blood in you when you were younger. Think we all did. Your grandmother sounds like a great lady. She knew when to step in and see things for what they were but I bet she boxed your ears if you ever pulled anything on her :lol: Dead fish in a mailbox huh? guess it musta been like an open tin of oysters under the back seat in my dad's car Eeeeeeewwwwwww! :rofl:

Dave

and why am i not surprised that you were a practical joker, some things do not change and i think i still owe you one:D
Did you ever live trap a skunk and put it in a mailbox?
Wayne

How did you put a skunk in a mail box? That sounds like it would be a good story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :jump:

the community cop. He ratted us out a few times for putting meat on the table out of season. We never got caught but were hassled by the game warden a bit. We knew it was him as his was the only place for miles that we could have been seen or heard from at the time, plus he had a reputation for that sort of thing and being a busybody.
A Skunk will not spray in a small enclosed place like a box. We caught one and carefully transferred it into his mailbox late one night, then put the flag up.
The next morning he bent over and opened the box to peer in......wham! A snoot full :stretcher:
It occurred to him too late that it was not mail day:lol:

Wayne

he was always giving us boys a hard time over us gathering some pecans down at the creek that ran through his property. We would gather the pecans when they fell to the ground and Mother would make pecan pie. Mother had me take a pecan pie over to the Snyder's house one year, but it did not do any political good...he still told me to leave his pecans alone. The straw that broke the camel's back was when he would not let us fish in his stock tank in his west pasture...it was loaded with fish! Those fish were dying of old age and needed to be caught and eaten. The fish that I put in his mail box was caught at a stock tank on my Uncles ranch. Mr. Snyder had to replace his mail box because it stunk so bad...you could smell it a hundred yards away. I always have wondered who told on me, but when my Father asked me if I was the one that put the fish in his mail box, I owed up to the fact that I had done it! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

when I saw the glasses, my brain came alive with memories, good memories. Like you stated, stories posted on this Forum will jar my memory about some good things that have happened in my life...I need to start posting some of those stories. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

glad you have fond memories of your grandma.was she from around san augustine,that's a pretty good trip from your place.

I do not have many memories of my grandparents. They died when I was fairly young.....except my fathers, father. He unfortunately developed alzheimers and did not recognize me when I went to see him.

I still have that though. I had a good time walking him around Victoria and showing him the sites. :)

all the best

M

I really don't know why but it seemed the thing to do. It took a long time for him to find what was making the car stink. The slime running from the tires finally told the tale.

What a rotten kid

was a favorite of my grandmother and father. It sounds like you were a little rascal when you were little, hahaha :rofl: but I think we all were :wiggle:

Your story reminded me of my grandmother, I use to love to go to grandma and grandpa's house, grandma always had home made cookies and pie for us.

After grandpa passed away grandma still lived alone and fended for her self, I helped grandma move a couple of times, to the end I was still my grandma's favorite, your story bought back some great Memories, thank you Kelley.

Ray