Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My fist metal detector

daxdog

I have been wanting a metal detector for a while and finally ordered one. I bought a Garrett ACE 250 Sports Pack. It took several days to arrive. It came yesterday, just in time for the first snow in Memphis in forever. This is the only time this winter that it snowed. What luck. Looks like I'll have to wait a day or two to give it a whirl. Until then, I guess I'll be sitting in the warmth of my home, reading TH guides and searching maps of the local battlefields, parks, etc.

[quote tab-nabit]First congrats is in order and welcome.

I'm just curious as what is meant as the "Sports Pack".

HH :thumbup:[/quote]

It is the standard ACE 250, but it comes with the standard 6.5"x9" and a 9"x12" coil. It also comes with cheap headphones, an environmental cover, a tote bag, a DVD and a booklet.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/garrett/garrett-ace250_sport.html

Because they are flimsy headphones, I do need to go purchase some new ones. They must come with volume control. I want to keep them under $50 if at all possible.

I found some Koss QZ-5 QuietZone Passive Noise-Reduction Stereophones on RadioShack.com. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2271506&cp=2032057.2032187.2202780&pg=1&fbn=Connectivity%2FWired&f=PAD%2FConnectivity+Technology%2FWired&fbc=1&retainProdsInSession=1&y=15&x=7&numProdsPerPage=100&parentPage=family

Would these make good headphones? The description says they can be used for this application, but they are just trying to sell a pair of headphones.

What recommendations to y'all have?

I see it does have detectors for one of the usage listed - no reviews listed.
Guess it wouldn't hurt to try them and if your not happy with them, return them. Would confirm the return policy first.
A plus is the volume control and switchable between stereo and mono for different detector's.
Does sound interesting. Be sure they are comfortable and the cord is neither too long or short.
Another option is to take your machine and see if they will let you bring it in and test it with some targets in your pocket. Interference may become a factor indoors with all the stuff running in there - maybe running the sensitivity way down may help in minimizing the interference.
If you get them, it would be nice to see a post on your thoughts.
HH

Welcome! Below is a link to all sorts of tricks and pics with the ACE 250!

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?32,674965,674965#msg-674965

I just got my first 3 days ago and this weather is killing me. I have used my new 250 about 8 hours and waiting on my headphones to arrive.

Be careful it is addictive!

While you are inside play around with all kinds of metals. I adjusted the custom from 25 cents to $1 playing with change and other rare coins in my coin collection. The day before on All Metals I nearly dug myself to death on nails, pull tabs, crushed beer cans etc.
But anything gold shows up on the pull tab jumping from side to side.

I have learned to listen to the pinpoint on coins. A coin has a small signal on pinpoint. And if you have trouble locating on pinpoint step to 90 degrees of the target and swipe the pinpoint over again.

I live in a remote place 35 miles to the nearest town and I usually buy from Ebay. The headphones I bought to start with from Ebay is PYRAMID STEREO HEADPHONES PART# HP-30 (NEW) I payed $17.50 with shipping and the seller ( bugs888 ) is from Booneville, Arkansas.

JohnsPics.jpg

hey, i am in Bartlett! what did you think of our 24 hours of snow? i have about 2 little ice patches in my yard still. I bought my ace 250 on tuesday.

I'm out in Collierville. I still have my front yard covered in snow, but my back yard is pretty much clear. I went in my backyard today and sloshed through the mud and found part of a beer can about 4 inches deep and a broken brick from when my house was built.

[quote daxdog]Because they are flimsy headphones, I do need to go purchase some new ones. They must come with volume control. I want to keep them under $50 if at all possible.

I found some Koss QZ-5 QuietZone Passive Noise-Reduction Stereophones on RadioShack.com. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2271506&cp=2032057.2032187.2202780&pg=1&fbn=Connectivity%2FWired&f=PAD%2FConnectivity+Technology%2FWired&fbc=1&retainProdsInSession=1&y=15&x=7&numProdsPerPage=100&parentPage=family

Would these make good headphones? The description says they can be used for this application, but they are just trying to sell a pair of headphones.

What recommendations to y'all have?[/quote]

Hi daxdog !

I would check out all of the popular makes & models at T.C. Metal Detectors and Ron's Detectors before making a final decision. Make a list of the one's you might be interested in, then give the owner's (Tony or Ron) a phone call and get their advice. As you will see, there is quite a variation on the specifications and this is where they should be able to give you direction if needed. Price is up to you of course.

I was discussing the pro/con of headphones with someone on one of the other MD'ing forums awhile back and he suggested I not buy any set that is rated less than 30 ohm, as they are "cheapies". Sorry, I don't remember who, where, when, :shrug: but the advice stuck with me !

Good Luck and HH !

Todd :)

ahh, Collierville, I work out in the county not far from you (i patrol what's left of shelby county). I live in Bartlett and have been looking for good places to hunt.