Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My First Week...was Great!

Ken in SO AZ

Well, after a week I'm definately hooked. Nothing big, but the learning was good. No jewelry yet, except a broken piece of a childs metal necklace pendant -- play stuff, but it had a "signature." Besides some pull tabs, rusty nails, chewing gum foil (now that's old) and a 1/2" brass elbow sweat-fitting a plumber lost at a ball diamond (4" under), I did get some coins, too. Don't remember anymore when the "silvers" stopped being minted, but I do remember that post-1982 pennies are zinc. 10 quarters (oldest 1967), 5 nickels (oldest 1974), 2 dimes (all new), and 21 pennies. The newest and oldest coins are both pennies; a 2006D (that makes it less that 3 months old -- from last weekend), and the "find" -- a 1920 (looks likes a Denver, but hard to see). I did get a 1946 nickel in change the other day, but that another story.

P.S. Any hints on how to remove corrosion from coins so I can read them?

Take care, and God Bless! (Remember to keep looking up)

Some guys use tumblers for the clad. Somebody should be able to help you out with that i.e., what to use, how long, etc.

What machine are you swinging?

Nice finds Ken! It doesn't take long to get hooked, does it? Welcome to a great hobby and also to the forum!

What coin was the 1920? Try using a toothbrush under water. If you can tell they are just clad coins you don't have to worry about the dates. Keep up the good work! :)

WTG Ken - You surely are on the right track. Maybe a dig camera in the future so you can show us your pics :) Steve in so az

The 1920 was a penny. That one was OK to read -- found in an old small park in Huachuca City (Wha-CHU-ka) north of Sierra Vista, AZ. Dirt was very dry, so not alot of moisture. I tried the toothbrush trick with some copper cleaner on other with moderate success, except for one pretty corroded. thanks for the help! and God Bless!

It's a Fortune Hunter model by Bounty Hunter. I'm currious because it's not on their web site -- must be specifically manufactured for Big5 Sports Stores, but seem similar to their Tracker IV (digital, not analog). Hey, it was on sale and was good to get in to see if I wanted to stay with the hobby. thanks for asking, and God Bless!

Thanks, Steve. Yeah, maybe a camera when I find that ring to pay for one. Take care, and God Bless!