Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first time at a beach w/X-70,,, It's amazing what you find

Icehouse

Please pardon my long post..........

So I went to a local beach on Lake Michigan here in Wisconsin today with my new X70. It was a beautiful sunny 60 degree day lakeside with very slight wind. I was using the stock 9" 7.5 coil to see how it performed in the native beige dry and wet sand. I was auto ground balancing in the dry sand from >9 and <12 and in the wet sand from >18 and <21. I would manually positive balanced the X70 a number or two sometimes for reasons that I do not know other than I have read that people do this sometimes:unsure:

I would say the X70 performed very well at the beach considering I am new to this machine and I'm still acclimating myself to it's features and how it responds. I also learned just how loud and distracting the seemingly small 2-4 inch waves are and I will use my headphones next time when I hunt at the beach. I started working the wet sand for the first 30 minutes and then into the dry and then into the wet yada yada yada.. I would re-ground balance every 15-20 minutes to stay on top of any varying ground conditions. It was good times.

Anyways, I posted some pictures of my hunt today. Nothing breathtaking but for me every coin I found was sheer bliss. In the first picture you will see a 11" hole in the sand and 5 quarters and two nickels which I have place on the edge of the hole. I found all of this coinage in the same hole. The X70 reported a 42 on tid and I dug the first quarter @ 2-3 inches. I remembered reading here that you should always re-scan your holes and I did and received another 42 slightly off of the original hole and 1-2 inches deeper. I re-scaned again and received a tid 12 aka nickel. I kept doing this until my hole was about 14-16 inches in diameter and 11 or so inches deep at which point my hole gave up it's last clad @ .25 denomination. I was very pleased indeed !!!

The second picture is my take for today at this beach. Coinage is all clad @ 6 quarters 73',80',88',93',79',74'=my birthday, 3 nickels 04',81',93', 2 dimes 00',89', 6 pennies 88',79',71',07',80',93'. Apparently Corona beer is the beer of choice at this beach lol. There is a aluminum spring clamp thing at the top right which I have no idea what it is and misc. iron and aluminum fragments.

In the second picture you also see a red and a green arrow. The red arrow is pointing to a rather ominous looking nail which measures 1/4 inch thick where it is fluted along it's midsection and is 1.5 inches long. How in the heck does this type of thing end up on a beach I do not know!?!?. The green arrow is pointing to a piece of snugly rolled up aluminum which I found shallow @ 3 inches.

In the third picture you will see the item that had the green arrow in pic two unrolled. I had to unroll it because I thought maybe there could be something inside of it and boy was there something inside of it. Do you see all that blackish tar stuff on the upper left of the unrolled aluminum? That "tar" is NOT the kind've tar you would typically see on your public roads filling in the cracks but rather it is the "tar" from marijuana :smoke:. That rolled up aluminum thing is/was a home-made pot pipe that somebody discarded on the beach :blink: . The smell that emanated from that thing as I unrolled it was indisputably that of pot. I'd bet that pipe has some stores to tell LOL.

So I just wanted to share my little story of my first day ever beach detecting with my X70 with you all. I was very happy using the X70 and I look forward to much more. It is really amazing what you find while detecting a day at the beach. :cheers:

Happy:detecting:

Picture 1
5Q2N_11_inch.jpg

Picture 2
Beach_take02.jpg

Picture 3
Umm_Tar.jpg

Very good hunting! Those pocket spills are always fun! Watch out fot the dope stuff. Even having it can be bad. For sure you may wanna look into a scoop, Beale.

Thank-you V/much for the response. What do you both mean by sand scoop? I was looking to buy a sand scoop like the long handle ones that you use to dig your finds in the beach water. The ones that I am mentioning are like the ones you see here at kellco at this www address http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/longhand.htm . Are these what you are mentioning when you say sand scoop?

Thanks for any response because I am as you could say " fresh off the turnip truck" so to speak as far as metal detecting goes.

P.S. I thought about that dope thing you mentioned above Beale. I now see how just having that may land a innocent detectorist in trouble. Thanks for that

Happy:detecting:

Yes. I have a long handled scoop for wading. I'm ordering a short handled wire mesh scoop for all the rest. But you can use a long handled scoop everywhere too.