Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"My First Salute"

Ron J

Reading a "post" below,jogged the "memorybank" abit.So figured i'd share this memory before it got buried again.

My Parents were fortunate enough to retire to Florida for 20 years or so.They owned a trailer in Fort Lauderdale/Dania area.That trailer was PARIDISE to my Mother.Dad enjoyed it,but i don't think as much as Mom did.

Their first trailer was across from Ft.Lauderdale Airport.I MEAN across the street!The park was mostly Canadian,and most could only speak French.My Mom was a "frenchfry" so she was right at home! Dad was Portuegese,so no comprende French!He managed though.

When the Airport expanded in the late 70's?,they bought a double,a few miles up at the second park. They would visit most summers with me,in Massachusetts,and leave in the fall.

In the summer of 1989,they left,and as usual,would stop in North Carolina,for a few days,to visit my older brothers family,then to their Paridise in Florida. This time was not good.They arrived in N.C.on Friday.Well,Saturday,I got a call from Lenora,my brothers wife.She informed me my Mom wasn't well,and was rushed to the hospital.Not to worry. Sunday,she called,and let me know,things were worse,and i better come down.

I flew down Monday a.m.,My younger brother, Paul flew in that night.Man was our Dad,glad to see us.We were worried about both parents of course,but Dad was 82,20 years older than Mom.We needed to keep him relaxed.

Well Tuesday,was "DDAY".Mom didn't make it.No easy way of sayin it. We made the nesc arrangements,and drove Mom's Chrysler Convertible home,with Dad.LONG, ROUGH TRIP i might ad! Getting sidetracked... Dad lived with me,in Massachusetts till his death in 1997.

Dad had one hellova life! Over 25 years in the Coast Guard.Two marriages,3 sons,1 daughter,from the first,and 2 sons from the second.Collected from Uncle Sam from 1950!He had earned it! Biggest things in his life: Coast Guard,My Mother,Family,and the Ocean.He loved the ocean.Come to think of it,so do i,and my two surviving brothers,Paul,and Allen,(alsway).

When i was making arrangements for Dads funeral,a Master Nissan tech,Bob Breaker,who was working for me at the time,asked if i would like a presentation from the Coast Guard? Bob was also a Coastie,and still is,in Gloucester,Mass. Of course i would!

Bob called his Commander,and set up a presentation at the funeral.I'll never forget it. Three Coasties,(two men,and a women) were already at the cemetary,when the funeral proccession arrived.The usual words were said,and the Coast Guard folded the American Flag in the correct manner.The Woman Coastie,then walked to me,and presented The U.S.flag,to ME! She then saluted!

I, of course,saluted in return! I guess it was a private feeling inside,that i was not only saluting to the U.S COAST GUARD,but to my DAD at the same time! Almost like saying the final "Goodbye."

Later,as the procession was breaking up,Allen approached me,and said "I'll bet that was the first time you ever saluted anyone?" You know what? It was...and Damn proud of it!! I know i'll never forget it,and niether will Al!....

I agree with Sunny, that was a moving story and a very good tribute.

when she was relatively young,nice story about your dad.sounds like you and emril lagasse have something in common,only flip-flopped.

glad you got the salute! I lost my parents when i and they were quite young and understand what you had to deal with.
Thank you Ron.
Wayne

Your dad had an interesting life for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Dave

My dad died at the age of 40 and here is my mother, 50 years older than that and it doesn't help to know her time is coming. One tough lady.

n/t

Ronnie,it sure was a sad day,hard to belive,you think dad go first,before your mon.She sure could make them pork chop taste good.I miss her.God Bless. Brother Al alsway

I sounds like your Father really loved the Coast Guard and ocean. I think that it was great of them to present the flag and salute you. Thanks for sharing this with the Forum. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t