Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first post here on a story of a 1892 poster found in a house demo...

Demodigger

Hi all,My first post here inspired by my good friend Mikey up here on the west coast of Canada in Vancouver. To start the story i do alot of house demo sites and this is one of them. The house was built in 1892 and was the house of the bookkeeper of the B.C. sugar company which was built & finished in 1892 as well. The house was being torn down a couple years ago and of course i had to check it out, so i went and had a look. This is not a detectable lot because it is a commercial lot now on a busy main street so only able to have a root around inside the mostly torn apart interior. The house i could see was jacked up in the 30s-40s and a bottom story added so i went up to the 3rd floor which was the main floor when originally built. Looking at the paneling i could see that they were nailed with square nails and thought this is the original part of the house. So i thought i would take some of the wainscoting on the walls off & take home, well behind the paneling there was between the studs something that caught my eye there were three panels of this poster used as insulation, so carefully pulled them out and layed them to gether and this was what i was looking at. After researching the house and the meaning of this poster the Vancouver city museum called me and purchased it and restored it. Back at turn of the century here in the Pacific Northwest the Chinese were harshly prejudice and charged a head tax to come into the country and were paid less that the white man and this poster proves it buy saying dont hire the Chinaman for 10 cents a day, hire a white man for 2.00 a day. Enjoy

What an interesting treasure that it!! Thanks for posting it here and giving us a chance to see it.

I spent three weeks with Mike and Alice last October and had had a ball. Great people.

I love that tale. Hopefully you will stick around, tell some of your Vancouver treasure stories [Maybe even some of your Colchester tales].

Hope to see you soon up our way. My boat is ready and the lakes are getting warmer.

calm seas, fair winds

M

n/t

Did you find anything else interesting in the old home? Did you save any of the square nails or take any pictures? Sorry for the questions, but I just love stories involving history. Thanks for sharing this with the Forum, and please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

PS: Welcome to the Forum! :)

to the forum! Enjoyed your story and the photo! I have not been around much lately, but I hope to get caught up this weekend! :)

n/t

n/t