Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first poem

Dan-MO

This was based on a real life experience I had when I was a young boy of about 11 years old.My father had taken me squirrel hunting and for one of the first times I was to be allowed to hunt on my own....without tagging along behind him.We drove deep into the forest to a wilderness area where dad dropped me off at first light on a old grown up logging trail.Before dropping me off he gave me strict,stern instructions on the dangers of getting lost in the area we were hunting.Grown men had been lost for days in the same area.The woods ran for miles and miles with no houses and very few roads.I was told several times to stay in sight of the logging trail and to not venture out of sight of it for ANY reason....

As the morning wore on I wasn't seeing many squirrels.When I heard one barking just down the hill - I decided to go after it.It was further than I thought and when I got in the area I thought it was -it was gone.I then saw another one just off to the left and went after it....then another just down the hill and I went after it as well.I wasn't worried because the trail was just up the hill a couple of hundred yards......

When I headed back to the trail I was surprised to find no trail at the top of the hill....or the top of the next hill...or the top of the next...or the top of the next....I was hopelessly lost....and panicked!

I walked and sometimes ran for hours.At one point I remember finding a old decaying fence and following it for miles before it just ended...

By dark I was totally exhausted and scared nearly to death.{Remember I was only 11 years old} All I could hear was the night birds and coyotes,,,,and it was DARK and I had been lost for a good 12 hours or more.In exhaustion I sat down against a tree and thought about what dad had told me....It sounds silly but I was sure I would never get out of those woods alive....

Suddenly from way off in the distance I heard a yell....I yelled back and got an answer! It was my dad! I have never been so glad to see a person in my life before or since! I ran to him when he got close and embraced him,,,,,and him me.He wanted to be mad at me for disobeying him and nearly scaring him to death...but he couldn't be at the time.All he could do was hug me and as he led me out of the dark woods I thought I saw a tear running down his cheek....but I never mentioned it.

I will never forget how scared I was or how happy I was to see my dad that day.Since then I have spent a good part of my life in those same woods and learned how to get around in them pretty well.I have even been lost in them for a couple hours at a time since I was a adult....but have never been scared and always found my way out.

Anyway that experience stayed with me to this day although it happened over 40 years ago.A couple of years ago I was fooling around trying to write a poem and this is what came of it.I printed it but showed it to no one until one day my dad came by and I gave it to him to read....not sure what to expect from him.This time there were for sure tears running down his cheeks and he knew instantly what had inspired me.It is his favorite and he has it framed.I was not all that impressed with it and nearly threw it away without showing anyone.It was my first attempt.

I remember being lost in the forest
As a young lad a long time ago
Lost, frightened and totally helpless
And not knowing which way to go

I ran till I was racked with exhaustion
And cried for I knew not the way
With all my strength gone ,I was close to my end
And I fell to the ground where I lay

Regretting that I didn

If that's your first, how did they get any better? OUTSTANDING! I know why your Dad shed a tear!

Dave

n/t

You are a good writer and know how to keep one's attention to the story...and the poem is just amazing. I can see why this brought tears to your Father...he was proud of you. Dan, "Thank you!" for posting this. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

had it framed. It shows how proud he is of you back then and when you gave the poem to him. It also shows him he did good with you. He had raised a fine little boy, and molded him into the man you are today with a little help from God! It was one of the best compliments he ever got received, I am sure of that! :)

Matthew 27:22.

It is the answer each and every man must ask...and answer.

Thank you so much, Dan, for this dear story...and what a story it was.

What a story it is. I have a lot of friends who are roaming and confused and lost. I can only give the directions to the Father. I can't believe I did not read this on the first day you posted it. I guess I thought I was too busy to do so.

But, today you gave me a blessing indeed. I remember being lost in the woods and only my earthly father's report of his 12 gauge gave me a clue of how to get back and out of the mess I had made for myself.

Thanks so very much for taking back and for sharing the only message that will matter.

aj

I too was once that father looking for his son in the woods. I still tear up just thinking about it. You poem and story triggered the same feeling. I can sure see why your Dad framed it. I know I will save it here. There is much to be learned from it. The last 7 months here have had me looking for that voice in the woods. I think perhaps you poem gave me my answer.. Thanks.. Geo-CT

n/t