Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first MINELAB, IT'S A SAFARI !!

Marty224

:minelab:First of all i would like to say a big HI ! to everyone at FTF from here in the UK! I have spent some considerable hours reading through all of the interesting information, hints and tips that you guys & gals share with fellow enthusiasts. Any help concerning hints/tips regarding my SAFARI will be gratefully received, as i have not had chance to try it in the field yet! thanks.
I took delivery of a new SAFARI three weeks ago, when i received it there was 4" - 6" of snow on the ground, before it had chance to thaw i was struck by flu,:stretcher: SO STILL HAVEN'T HAD CHANCE TO TRY IT OUT IN THE FIELD!
So i had plenty of time to read the manual thoroughly (which i found was laid out in quite a straightforward manner), 90% of it stuck straight away! after getting the remaining 10% to penetrate the grey matter, i removed the machine from its box to check it over. On first inspection? build quality great, control layout seemed pretty logical, nice colour, & well packaged in a nice box! assembly was also simple enough.
Since being stuck indoors with this virus, i've had loads of spare time to do extensive air tests using different objects/sizes/metal composition, to try get used to the differing signals,(was a bit strange at first, as i have never owned a multi-tone machine before), but in theory it all seems pretty logical, i like it so far! The Safari does feel weightier than anything else i have used, but my attitude is that if this machine is going to increase your finds rate, then a bit of extra weight is surely a pretty trivial sacrifice? after all, i wonder how many of us(if we had to!) would carry a truck battery around in a backpack all day if it meant we could turn up the goods? i would! and the Safari does have this 'quality' feel about it. Can't wait to shake off this dang virus and get out in the field with it! :(
I also own a Fisher 1236x2 and a Laser B1 Hi-Power, which have both served me well over the years and are great machines, just felt i needed to update to the 21st century.
So once again, any hints and tips on using the SAFARI in the field will be more than welcome. By the way, my ANDY SABISCH book is on order which should be a great help. I hope to keep you updated with my progress in getting to grips with it! I still feel i've made the right choice, the proof is in the pudding right?!:drinking:

Marty,
That's awesome. I wish I could give you some great advice, but I have only had mine out 3 times, 4 and 5 are coming up this weekend.
I found it very easy to use. I have been finding some really good finds in a park that has been hunted a lot. I had been told to run it in the Coin mode to get used to it first, but decided to run very low disc and use conductivity sounds. I chose to reject -10 to -1 and reject 40, but I don't know if rejecting 40 is really necessary if there are not a lot of hot rocks around.

This weekend I am going to hunt with ferrous sounds just to see how that goes. The Quattro book states that you can better distinguish between certain targets using ferrous sounds so I will see what happens. I had to go out and buy a better digger this week as the targets I have been recovering are 6 to 8 inches. I couldn't swing enough to buy a lesche so I bought a hori hori knife.

Have fun with your new detector and post how you do with it.

Dan C

[size=medium][size=large][/size][/size][size=medium][/size]Hi Dan-o, thanks for the tips, will give it a go for sure. I have been tempted to try it in ALL METAL mode first with trash density LOW, and dig everything to begin with, as many of my sites are pretty quiet,( but do occasionally throw up a little gem), and get used to the sounds that way. But the manual advises COIN mode on first outing too, so will deffo try that first & see how it goes. Maybe i'll peg out a small area and cover it trying several different approaches?
It's great to hear you've been having some nice finds, i haven't read anything bad about the Safari to be honest, only minor 'bitchy' things. I couldn't see the point in coughing up another

Hi ,Marty just remember not to swing it like the Fisher or the Laser, you need slow down with the Minelabs and i mean slow. Andys book Mastering the Quattro is a must read for the Safari owners. Play about with the settings and use what feels right for you .Good Luck with the Safari,and hope you are feeling better. By the way i use the Quattro and the Explorer .

Marty, there is an excellent video on the Safari, just google Minelab Safari sounds, save it in your favorites and watch it anytime you wish. Enjoy.

Welcome to the Safari brotherhood... Now if I could only get over to England.... Your going to be amazed at your finds. That little machine will have you digging good things in no time. Unlike here your ground won't have as much of the pop tops that we have here as they weren't used as much. I think we are all loking forward to you photo's. Get some OJ and bed rest and theflu wiil be gone. If you havn't get a vacinnation shot.

Welcome!!!:beers:

Hi Marty, and Congrats on the safari purchase. I have had my safari for 1yr. now, and I am thoroughly satisfied, be patient with the machine and let it sing to you. Andy's book will be a big help, this forum is about your best resource for tips, stories,and lots of helpful info. You should get the hang of the safari in no time at all. And like edjcox wrote "Now if i could only get over to England". I am in New England , Belchertown, Ma. to be exact. I am sure you will be finding items 300+yrs and older because of the great history you have there. Hope these posts can put a smile on your face, and make you feel a little better. Get well brother so that you can be at your prime for your first hunt!! Getting to learn the many sounds and readings are your key to success, don't get discouraged, and don't be afraid to try different settings. Eventually you will be able to save your own customized program that works well for you in your particular region. :minelab: Ron

Hi to you all, thanks to everyone for all your kind messages, i am feeling slightly better, BUT STILL NOT WELL ENOUGH TO GET OUT WITH THE SAFARI !!! :rant: and all the info you guys have given will be really helpful in the field. I had my 'Mastering the Quattro' book arrive Saturday morning, no sooner it hit the doormat i was caressing the pages, what a great book! it is so helpful. I would recommend it to any new Safari owner, most of the contents made total sense to me, i guess the rest becomes clearer once out in the field. I have glanced around this forum a few times before, what a great place to share info and the excitement of new finds!
Anyhow, a bit about myself. As a small child, probably 5-6 years old, i would spend hours in the garden with my Grandad, while he was digging/planting/hoeing i would be scratching around in the soil & picking pieces of clay-pipe/pottery/buttons/bone etc., at approx 8 yrs old my dad made me a metal detector from plans in a 'Practical Electronics' mag. as he enjoyed tinkering with that kind of thing anyhow. I spent the next couple of years with that detector attached to my right arm, darn near slept with the thing too! :detecting: it would detect a jam-pot lid at about 2". I then borrowed an old C-SCOPE from a pal, until i had saved enough cash to buy a VIKING 5DM. :bouncy: I then progressed to a C-SCOPE 1220XD which i didnt like, but it did find my very first silver hammered, a CS2MX (which i still own), then Laser B1 HP, Fisher 1236x2 & now the Safari. It has felt like a natural progression for me to be so wrapped up in detecting, and i feel so very very lucky that my enthusiasm & love for 'treasure hunting' spawned at such a young age. Have found myself recently wanting to do some water searching/dredging/raking etc.(sometime this year hopefully).
So, at the moment have been looking to update my head phones, (currently using MOLE SUPERPHONES). The choice just has to be KOSS i reckon, QZ-99 or RACE-TRACKERS????? QZ-5's a popular choice too right? anyone who can advise me by experience much appreciated. (I deffo want phones with volume control). :beers:
Cheers all !!

Marty,
I really like my Killer B Optima Standard Headphones. They work with all of my detectors due to the Mode Toggle Switch.
For me there were 3 styles to consider in the Killer B line up.
1.Killer B Optima Standard Headphones: This model has a Single Volume Control, and a Mode Toggle Switch. The Mode Toggle Switch is used to make the headphones compatible with almost any detector.
2.Killer B II Optima Headphones: Exactly the same as the Standards but adds a Dual Volume Control.
3.Killer B Wasp Headphones: Exactly the same as the Killer B II

Hi All, Thanks for your very helpful info Dan-o, i have heard lots of good comments about the Killer B's, but have never really looked into them, think it's about time i done some homework on them. I have no idea if they are available in the UK either, so i best check that out too.(I have only sniffed out one place in the UK to stock the KOSS QZ-99's so far!, at a sensible price anyway). I now feel well enough to drag the Safari into the field within a day or two, so really looking forward to that BIG time!:detecting: just been looking at the Killer B's, pretty well made bit of kit i would say, could't find them in the UK though, oh well, no prob. The Optima standards with the leather earpads look really comfy, going to do some enquiries. CHEERS!:beers:

For the money check out the Jolly Rogers, I use them on both my Minelabs, can be purchased from that Staffs fella , he will be open this weekend after stocktaking.Check out his site. H H Les.

I emailed the Killer B guy last night, he does not ship to the UK . So, maybe i will check out the Jolly Rogers, thanks Leslie i know the Staffs guy you mean as i have purchased an accessory or two from him in the past. I'm sure something will turn up. At least it's not as bad as having to choose a new detector!!! i ended up with 5 machines on my shortlist!! had often considered a Minelab, and in the end it was between the X-TERRA 705 & SAFARI. I went with the SAFARI because the cost of the X-TERRA with the LF & HF coils (which no doubt i would have wanted!) would have exceeded the price of the SAFARI. Anyhow, all indications so far point to me having made the right choice for my needs. Right, i'm back on the hunt for some decent phones now!