Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first hunt - Was it a success?

daxdog

I went on my first MD hunt today. The first place I went was a busy park. I found a quiet area which stayed that way for about 10 minutes. I then had a couple of 4-6 y/o kids asking a million questions. I dug up a few pieces of foil and a link from a chain.

I moved to a second park which had almost no one there. I hunted in piece for about 90 minutes. During that time, I found countless gum wrappers, a few pop tops, a comb, a child's ring, and 18 cents. My question - was this a successful hunt? I did learn more about how to use a detector.

I enjoyed myself, but I would not call myself "addicted". Maybe one day.

For some reason, my wife was not as excited about the ring I found and gave her as I thought she ought to be!

great finds, I just found my first ring today, but unlike you (ring on your first hunt), today was my 2nd time hunting and I found a mans gold ring. we must be the luckiest people around!!!:detecting::rofl:

[quote treasurefiend]great finds, I just found my first ring today, but unlike you (ring on your first hunt), today was my 2nd time hunting and I found a mans gold ring. we must be the luckiest people around!!!:detecting::rofl:[/quote]

I found a child's aluminum ring and you found a man's 18k gold ring. That's almost the same! Congrats on your find. I hope to one day be that lucky.

I didn't find just ANY ring, I found one made by the famous artist, "China". She even had her name stamped on the inside of the ring. :spin:

beats my first and second hunt. i found trash on my first one and about 17 cents and more trash on my second. i too had a bunch of children, whatchadoin me. we have good weather this week daxdog!

It get better. It gets MUCH better.
Look for Baseball fields at parks and sports fields as well.
Now that you have opened Pandora's Box, you'll never be the same again!!!!!!!!
Your a doomed man!!!!:rofl:

RR

Yeah I would say that qualifies as a succesful hunt then again for me ieven if I dont find anything they are all successful hunts the idea of getting out in fresh air.

GreyWolve

[quote robert roy]Look for Baseball fields at parks and sports fields as well.[/quote]

I went to several baseball fields around the park. Almost all of the stands were sitting on concrete. They are all aluminum at this particular place so everytime I got near the ones which were not on concrete I got a reading for a dime at 8+ inches.

It snowed here on Friday, melted Saturday, so when I went on Sunday the ground was soaked and had standing water everywhere. This upcoming weekend looks more promising.

Since your digging foil it sounds like your running in the relic or all metal mode. As long as you don't get discouraged digging those items keep it up. I consider any ring a great day. For you to get a ring on the 1st day your doing fine.

Well done daxdog,
yeah that sure is a succesfull hunt first time out.
Hey that's only the start, but be patient my friend this hobby has it's ups and downs but practice
certainly helps the ups.
Hang in there and your wife will come round once she sees the good stuff.

:clapping::clapping:

[quote khouse]Since your digging foil it sounds like your running in the relic or all metal mode. [/quote]

I have been keeping it all metal mode. According to some instructions I read/saw (I don't remember which) I should keep it in all metal mode for at least the first 10 hours of use while I learn to use the metal detector. Near the end of my hunt I did put it in either coins or jewelry mode (I don't remember which) and had fewer junk digs.