Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MY FIRST GOLD WITH EXCALIBUR

Roman44

I did it. I have found gold. My first outings resulted in a few older silver coins. And after that mostly clad coins and junk jewlery. I just had to slow down and get familiar with the machine. Being a beginner I dug every target. This thursday I found a class ring, white gold. The signal was very strong. I was so happy. Now today I went to a lake that is constantly searched by other people using different type of detectors. My fist target was loud and sounded alot like foil. I was really expecting to see a pulltab. Well it was an 18k gold band. WOW. All the patients and practice payed off. Now that I found gold like all of you, I will be posting some questions soon . One of which is should my threshhold background sound a low tone? I do pass my scoop under the coil and it changes to a high pitch. But after a few swings it always returns to a low tone.

The Excal threshold will take on the pitch of the last target that you pass over. That's a "feature" of the Excal. Get used to it and it will stop bugging you. If your last target was a null (iron, unless you're notching anything out...bad move if you are!) then the threshold can actually go away. That's normal. And as you have found out, a quick "flashing" of the scoop near the coil will "reset" the threshold. I do that frequently.

Anyway, it sounds like you're doing VERY well with your new Excal and you are already learning the important things about the machine very quickly...also normal! It's not rocket science...you swing the Excal, you get the gold! :)

Nice work!

Oh, have you heard the Excal sounds that I recorded and posted some time back? May be a help! http://www.findmall.com/read.php?21,405738,405738#msg-405738

I did download the sounds a few months ago. They were helpful. I live in michigan, so freshwater hunting is what I do. A brief question I have for you. I have Clives newest book on the Excalibur. When I am sweeping the threshold sound goes away. Does that mean thier is a possible deep target, or iron. Both the gold rings I recovered were strong signals. I wonder what sound if any deep gold targets make. Thanks Mike, I aleays read your posts for nearly a year, and you have had alot of sucsess.

The total silence, when going over a target is an iron null. If you recall in Clive's book, he suggests turning the Threshold down to barely audible and then down a little lower, and it needs to be adjusted periodically, in heavy current or deeper water. If the Threshold breaks over the silence, you are still too high. That's how I run mine and I don't have to listen to all the damn racket. I just hear when something good is there. Believe me, if you go over a good target, the unit will let you know. Deeper weaker signals can be heard easier, because there is no distracting background noise. Give it a try, it works well for me. Congrats again on the finds, they will not be the last and obtw, consider yourself wrecked! You just became a pirate! GH

Hi Roman44, congrats on the gold. I can't wait to get my first. I just got the Excal in a couple days ago, plan on going back to the beach Monday afternoon. I just started reading on this site, and like you it has been very helpful. Good luck on your next trip....:detecting:

Well, there's no way to tell if you've gone over a deep target that's outside the range of being able to produce a good signal or if you've simply gone over some iron junk and the detector is nulling as it should. The only way to tell is to DIG, but that will get old as I'm sure that probably 9 times out of 10 if will be something that should have produced a null. But that 10th time it could be the fine ladies ring with a fat diamond in it. The rule of thumb I go by is that if it nulls I will attempt to "squeak" a good signal out of it from a few different directions and careful sweeping. If I can't get it to do SOMETHING good, I usually pass on it.