Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first finds!

muddiver

Well, my Xterra 705 finally came in on Tuesday, yee haa!! I went out to my property just to get used to the machine. Parked at camp and got the machine set up and ground balanced. I immediately got a hit where we park and dug up my first coin. A 1992 Rosie, but hey, it was my first. For the next couple of hours I dug what seemed like a never ending supply of .22 casings. As I said, I wanted to get used to the machine so I was digging every hit. Time soon ran out and I had to leave to pick my son up from school.

Went back out today after dropping him off at school and dug for several hours. I went to the area with an old rock chimney and looked for a spot with no metal so I could get a good ground balance. Finally found one, got it balanced and went to work. I was using a 9" concentric coil at 7.5kHz. Got a lot of signals but nothing really strong. Finally got a really good hit and dug about 2 inches and hit a metal object that turned out to be an ax bit. Searched a little more in the same area but the numbers seemed to be jumping between the 20's and 40's, so I changed to the 6 X 10 DD elliptical coil and almost immediately got a good, strong hit. Dug a couple of inches and hit a metal object. Dug it up and it was a 6 link chain that looked to be hand forged. Within an hour or two I had a 2" x 2" nut, a pair of scissors, the top to a mason jar with a round glass seal? in the top, and some sort of metal rod. Found several pieces of glass, I assume leaded because they registered on my detector. While digging some of the glass I found a clay or ceramic type of object that has the shape of a bottle stopper. It has a hole approx. 1/4"-5/16" in the top and a much smaller hole, about the size of a toothpick in the bottom. Got no idea of what it is. Anyway, it was a great day for me. These may be just trash to some of you experienced guys and gals but they are sure treasures to me. Here's some pics. Sorry, but I forgot to put a ruler down by them for the pics but the chain is approx. 9" and the cutting edge of the ax bit is approx. 4 3/4" top to bottom. Hope to have more pics to post tomorrow, weather permitting....Does anybody have any idea what the metal bar or the clay object is???

Hey muddiver,
The jar lid is made of zinc and the glass piece is porcelain.
These can be found in great numbers around old home sites.
I can't ID the iron rod or the small piece with the holes, but you are likely to find many things that you can't ID when hunting around old sites like you have there.
It looks like it is going to be a good site to hunt, so don't get discouraged if you don't make any good finds for a while.
If they are there, you'll likely find them as you get more accustomed to the X-terra.
Some items can be used to help date the site and how long it may have been in use.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Felix

The Iron rod looks kinda like a rifle bolt. Or a drive shaft for a machine. Is the lugged end got kind of a twist to it as would the lugs on a rifle bolt?

HH
Jeff

It sounds like your going about it the right way with digging everything that beeps. pay close attention to the tones and numbers when your over a target. That well help to speed up the learning curve. It looks like you have a good site there, keep hitting it.

Glad you are having fun .Try pattern one and dig 6 and above that should cut out the iron . Digging everything is the best way to learn the id and sounds though. Keep it up and you will be finding the good stuff.

Way to go MR. Diver........Great moral Boosters right there

74695.gif

Hey Muddiver! Good start. I hunt old farm sites and I think I have found at least one broken axe head at every old farm site I have hunted so when I saw your post I went "Oh yeah--- the ubiquitous broken axe head" I figure that either they didn't make very high quality axe heads "back when" and/or the farmers abused/used them very hard.

I have also found quite a few of those old canning jar lids with the glass seals ---as I'm digging and start to see one appear I'm always hopefull that it will be attached to a jarful of old coins, but alas, it has never happened, and I'm still looking for my first cache.

Good luck to you in future hunts.

I think the iron rod in the last couple of photos is a type of drill bit (star bit?) that was used to drill holes in rock so that it could be split for posts or foundation stones. It was hit with a big sledge hammer while someone hand held it, then it would be turned about 1/4 turn between hammer blows.

Great Finds Diver!!! Hopefully one of these days you will find the glass jar full of coins connected to the zinc mason lid!! Most of them I've found are deep and my heart still skips a beat after 35 years of diggin em'. :clap::clap:

Congrats on your hunt! You did real well! I like finding those old Zinc lids also. Good work, Beale.