Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My First Detector

jnstrom

Well I just did it!!! I bought my first detector! :detecting:

A used Vaquero (now I have to remember how to spell the name!) with Sunray Gold Pro Headphones.

Thank you for all your suggestions, I was first thinking of buying a Silver or a Cibola but decided to go with something with ground balance (learning process at work).

I bought it from Richard over at Backwood Detectors (he has a link for his email on this forum as an banner). Great guy answered all my questions and was very polite. Being a newbie I have a ton of questions.

I can't wait to post my first pull tab pictures! Now I need to buy some new hiking boots, hand trowl, coin pouch and some books (any suggestions?)!!!

Get waterproof boots, low tops if you live in a warm clim. Figure out what works best for you on equipment, there are no hard rules. I use a fanny pack instead of a front type pouch, always found the front type in the way when swinging. I keep my trowel, finds, spare batt, magnifier, etc in various compartments. My trowel and big digger are both from hardware stores that I've adapted to my likeing. Buy the most rugged stuff you can find for digging, it takes a beating. I use calrad headphones in the winter, during the hotter months I use a behind the neck pair from radio shack that cost $14.00. Some people will tell you they are crap headphones, but they work well for me, lots of coins, relics and a few rings. I've dealt with Richard @ Backwoods a couple times now, great guy to deal with. If you get into trashy areas, check with Richard on a 5.75 coil.

[size=large]Hay Jnstrom,

I wish I had known Richard when I got my first one.

If you want a coin probe, the best way is to get an old fishing rod.

The solid fiber glass kind of rod is what I mean,

Cut off the size you want. Fashion a handle. Light as a feather.

It will not mark coins. last for a while and is free if you can find an

old fishing rod.

These are not suggestions as much as it is what I use.

I just use a probe I made with a brass rod and a mop handle.

10-21-6.jpg

I have learned to do my park and lawn hunting with a big screw

driver.

10-21-4.jpg

It took me a while to get good enough to do that. If I use a hand

digger, I use a fiskers from Wal- Mart. About$10.

10-21-2.jpg

I use a True temper little shovel that I modified. It's pretty tough.

$4.

10-21-1.jpg

I have a knife I take in the woods. $5 at the pawn shop.

10-21-7.jpg

Here is my Arkie Barkie. I developed this for poping targets in

wood chips. It's a modified Camp Fork from the camping section

in Wal-Mart. $4.

10-21-5.jpg

I use a Tiny Tec elec pin pointer. $37.

10-21-3.jpg

This is what I do with pesky Rug Rast. $ Priceless.HO<>HO<>HO<>HO

10-21-8.jpg

My new Miss Speedy just got here.

Gotta Gooooooo...........:hot:

Happy Hunting,

Tabdog[/size]

You guys rock!!!

Tabdog thanks for the rundown I have the perfect fishing rod to distroy! My friends how have a 1920 lake house are allowing me to check out their property!! Can't wait to se what I find!!!